270 Islander purchase?

TransFueler

Reaction score
You're a dedicated owner, Bob... $6k for the transom, what, $28k for the motors? I realize that when you already own the boat, it makes some sense to do that.

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Whoa, now I'm curious about Islanders. How can a 27' Grady come with a 250hp single? I wouldn't think it would perform at all. Got to be a 2-stroke.... I've got a 225hp on a 22' Grady and it performs adequately but can't imagine how much heavier a 27' would be! Also the trailerable width does sound appealing.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
The single 250 2-stroke got people into a bigger boat for a much lower price point. A 2 stroke could get the job done on the Islander but the early 225 and 250 4 strokes didn't have the mid-range hp of a 2 stroke. One could argue 4-strokes killed the Islander because twins were the only option that could push the boat adequately. The problem was it also drove up the cost, making it less attractive.
That said, I would not want an Islander with a single. My 248 without a hardtop can be enough of a challenge to maneuver safely with moderate winds and current.

Stephnic

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I will say that the 268 with twin 150’s is a perfect match. The boat tops out at 44 MPH with a full tank of fuel and three Guys on the boat. I ran it 50 miles offshore and average 1.9 mpg. The motors have Just under 30 hours and will Continue to improve as time goes on. It is also performs pretty good in tight spots like in the marina backing it into the slip.

Attachments

• A0E7C700-0D13-4FB4-911C-3FAD2D190E9B.jpeg
    A0E7C700-0D13-4FB4-911C-3FAD2D190E9B.jpeg
    496.4 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: TransFueler

mhff34

Reaction score
Had the survey conducted on Monday, at the dealer in Wareham, MA. Ten minutes into it, the surveyor (40+ years experience) called to say he had bad news, and thought I might want to cancel the rest of the survey. He explained that he used two high quality, reliable water detection instruments.
He found serious water intrusion in the transom, the stringers were absolutely soaked, as was the bow pulpit area. The deck hatches also very wet.

He estimated repairs at well over $20,000, if even repairable. As in; cut off transom and replace, cut out stringers and replace, IF possible...

Said he finds serious water intrusion in about 40% of the Grady's he surveys...

Interesting, the dealer said they had serviced the boat for over a decade, and that it was in fine condition. They claimed no knowledge of water intrusion, but the surveyors photos clearly show fiberglass peeling off the stringers, etc...

Search continues, but it reinforced my thought of NEVER buy a boat without a qualified surveyor inspecting it...

Ed

Would you mind sharing your surveyor?

Delta2020

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have a 98 Islander prior to repowering had stern checked it had moisture in stern area .I had stern replaced by
JD Fiberglass in Pembroke Mass did a great job repair cost was 7K .I love the boat it handles well in all conditions hope you find a good one

TransFueler

Reaction score
I have a 98 Islander prior to repowering had stern checked it had moisture in stern area .I had stern replaced by
JD Fiberglass in Pembroke Mass did a great job repair cost was 7K .I love the boat it handles well in all conditions hope you find a good one

Wow, this does seem to be a real issue. Slicing off the transom and gluing a new one on just seems a bit excessive for expected maintenance...

Stephnic

Reaction score
Model
Islander
This issue is not only with the Islander it is all of the Grady white boats. It is something that most boat owners don’t really pay attention to until it’s too late and water has already gotten in. My boat was done by Youngs Fiberglass in Marmora NJ and they do a lot of gradys. But keep in mind they are a great boat and I would not buy anything Else. This is my fifth Grady.

DanN

Reaction score
Had the survey conducted on Monday, at the dealer in Wareham, MA. Ten minutes into it, the surveyor (40+ years experience) called to say he had bad news, and thought I might want to cancel the rest of the survey. He explained that he used two high quality, reliable water detection instruments.
He found serious water intrusion in the transom, the stringers were absolutely soaked, as was the bow pulpit area. The deck hatches also very wet.

He estimated repairs at well over $20,000, if even repairable. As in; cut off transom and replace, cut out stringers and replace, IF possible...

Said he finds serious water intrusion in about 40% of the Grady's he surveys...

Interesting, the dealer said they had serviced the boat for over a decade, and that it was in fine condition. They claimed no knowledge of water intrusion, but the surveyors photos clearly show fiberglass peeling off the stringers, etc...

Search continues, but it reinforced my thought of NEVER buy a boat without a qualified surveyor inspecting it...

Ed
Ed, do you mind if I ask who you had do the survey? I'm looking at some Grady's in MA and want a good surveyor. My email is dfnason@hotmail.com
Thank you.
Dan

TransFueler

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info, guys. I do appreciate it.
After looking at a few Grady's, I decided to go with a Shamrock Mackinaw 27. Keep enjoying your terrific boats, see you on the water...