270 islander

bfloyd4445

Reaction score
I'm buying a 270 and i want to know how fast a 270 will go with T225 4 stroke yams and at what rpm? My boat will be a 2003 with a little over 100 hours. Boat has sat on a lift all its life and its taking lots of work to get her rnning properly and i wish to know what i'm seeing is proper for this boat engine package. Grady white has bent over backwards supplying me with info on boats models engine packages over the last two years. It was because of Grady's willingness to help an old guy looking for a used boat that sold me on Grady's. I have all the factory engine data which gives 50.3 mph with 1500 pounds of people gear for the TF225's. Happy to share this data with anyone interested.
Thanks
B

grady98

Reaction score
Not sure about the spec for speed etc. But make sure the engines have been gone over in detail .Yamaha had lots of problems with the exhaust systems around this year costing lots of money to repair.Good Luck

bfloyd4445

Reaction score
grady98 said:
Not sure about the spec for speed etc. But make sure the engines have been gone over in detail .Yamaha had lots of problems with the exhaust systems around this year costing lots of money to repair.Good Luck
Thanks for the advice. This boat has corrosion and the owner has agreed to split the cost of the upgrade with me. He has also had the whole fuel system taken apart cleaned flushed and new high pressure fuel pumps installed in botjh engines. Means the boat costs me $1300 more but it should be good for thousands of hours now with the kits installed.
Still scary buying a 12 year old boat with that few hours, whats that about nine hours per year? But the boat was lift kept under a roof so it should be fine. I will use it gingerly for a bit. Can you think of anything I should look for? The engines are what scare me I'm sure the hull is like new

Sharkbait282

Reaction score
http://yamahaoutboards.com/sites/defaul ... -GRW-B.pdf

It's a bit more than a foot narrower and at least 1000lbs lighter than our 282 Sailfish, and carries 70 gallons less fuel total . . . the yamaha bulletins are pretty "ambitious," i.e. no bottom paint, perfectly clean, nothing but fuel and required lubricants and basic safety equipment.

If I see a max WOT about 55-5600 at 43-45 knots, I'd expect you'll see closer to 47-48 at 5800 rpm with bottom paint and a few tasty beverages. Cruise at 28-32 knots at 37-4000 RPM making between 1.7-1.9 MPG.

Given the 270 is a bit narrower, I'm going to say it's going to feel a bit quicker in the 270, and sense of any side to side yawing will be increased. We also had the midsections and oil pumps our our F225s done at time of purchase, and the only other thing we dealt with was getting the rest of the snot out of the bottom of the reserve tank. Plan on rolling over a few short term 10 micron fuel filters as you work through your first minor fill ups with good additives and you should be in good shape. I'm taking a look at my thermostats this fall, but otherwise we'll be tucking into the regularly expected maintenance schedule!

Best of luck.

bfloyd4445

Reaction score
Sharkbait282 said:
http://yamahaoutboards.com/sites/default/files/bulletins/bulletin_otb_4StrokePerf_HPV6_225hp_02-55-GRW-B.pdf

It's a bit more than a foot narrower and at least 1000lbs lighter than our 282 Sailfish, and carries 70 gallons less fuel total . . . the yamaha bulletins are pretty "ambitious," i.e. no bottom paint, perfectly clean, nothing but fuel and required lubricants and basic safety equipment.

If I see a max WOT about 55-5600 at 43-45 knots, I'd expect you'll see closer to 47-48 at 5800 rpm with bottom paint and a few tasty beverages. Cruise at 28-32 knots at 37-4000 RPM making between 1.7-1.9 MPG.

Given the 270 is a bit narrower, I'm going to say it's going to feel a bit quicker in the 270, and sense of any side to side yawing will be increased. We also had the midsections and oil pumps our our F225s done at time of purchase, and the only other thing we dealt with was getting the rest of the snot out of the bottom of the reserve tank. Plan on rolling over a few short term 10 micron fuel filters as you work through your first minor fill ups with good additives and you should be in good shape. I'm taking a look at my thermostats this fall, but otherwise we'll be tucking into the regularly expected maintenance schedule!

Best of luck.

Thanks for the info. Buying a 13 year old boat with 100 hours on it is scary. The owner has had the fuel tank lines all cleaned out including the injectors. I've talked to the mechanic working on it right now and he had to replace the high pressure fuel pumps in both engines and he will be putting the corrosion proof kits in next week. I'll have to pick up a box of fuel filters thanks for the hint. I'm excited I've waited for two years now to find a 270 with 4 strokes i can afford. Had to bite the bullet and buy one 2500 miles away but i have the time i am retired to drive out and tow it back Midsection?? Are you referring to the corrosion kit?
I love the 282 but I want a boat i can trailer any place without permit issues so it had to be an 8.5 foot beam. I came so close to buying a couple of different 282's one with a new 6kw furuno open array radar and trailer! Theirs a nice 200 with disc brakes on the trailer in san diego right now for sale because of a divorce for $35,000
Grady white data for the 270 with F225's claims 50.3 with about 1500 pounds of gear people. I think that is high but we will see

bfloyd4445

Reaction score
grady98 said:
Thanks Grady98. This boat is being gone through right now by the mechanic and both engines are to have the kits installed and new high presure fuel pumps :D

Sharkbait282

Reaction score
Yes, midsection = corrosion kit for dry exhaust issues.

Remember, it's all fun, even if you're elbow deep in bilge or engine parts!