270 Islander

timmons

Reaction score
Up here, Tohatsu is only well thought of by the people who own them. Not many around, but those that are run forever with no problems whatsoever. Never met anyone with any direct experience who did not love 'em.

Now, E-Tec. Dealers seem to love them. My guess is because they are kicking back big bucks to the dealer just to get them established. My good buddy owns a 150hp. LOTS of problems. In and out of the shop for the past two years. Now I'm not claiming a lot of experience with them, but I will say 0 for 1. I grew up with the Evinrude name. I like Canadians. I would wait on the e-tec while things get worked out a bit.

Which leaves Merc, Yamaha, and Suzuki. Flip a three headed coin.
I like Honda, but they don't seem interested in putting out much product.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
BobP said:
Brian, I think the suzie 150/175s have more dislacement than F150s. Suzie was obviously looking for an advantage from design day start with the target 150 HP market.

You're correct. The DF150/175 is 174.9cu.in. and the F150 is 162.8cu.in.

Gmanoffshore

Reaction score
You can't beat the 200 HPDI's, they are fantastic engines and have one of the best HP to weight ratios out there.
I have put over 175 trouble free hrs. on mine in the 16 months I have had the boat and love them( it had 200 hrs. when I bought it). I get an overall average of 1.8 to 2.0 MPG on my Islander and it never leaves the dock unless it is fully loaded. The 4ST may beat these motors trolling but overall I think the fuel economy is close.