271 CANYON TO KEYS

RAYK

Reaction score
Any 271 owners out there doing FMB or Marco to KW or Marathon?

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
268 Owner Cape May to Islamorada for February last 13 years. What is your question?

I trailer down but runaround in the bay behind Marathon to to Islamorada. Never been North of Cape Sable on West Coast. Use the frequently used yacht channels and cuts in the bay and you will be fine.

Last edited:

PlannedOutage

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 336
I am not a 271 owner (I own a '08 336), but have done the FMB trip south to the Keys several times. Great trip! Happy to help answer questions for you.

RAYK

Reaction score
I am not a 271 owner (I own a '08 336), but have done the FMB trip south to the Keys several times. Great trip! Happy to help answer questions for you.
thank you PlannedOutage, I currently run a robalo 240 want to upgrade to Grady 271 , want to make sure I make the right choice for Keys run. Live on canal in Fort Myers Beach

RAYK

Reaction score
thank you PlannedOutage, I currently run a robalo 240 want to upgrade to Grady 271 , want to make sure I make the right choice for Keys run. Live on canal in Fort Myers Beach

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
RAYK:

I have made that run in my previous boat, a 232 Gulfstream many times.

It's roughly 130-140 miles from San Carlos Bay to Marathon, depending on your course.

A short (by my standards) rundown of things to plan for & expect.

WX:
Summer months give you more consistent calm days. During winter, departure times are best timed between cold fronts when the winds veer E to SE before the arrival of the next front.

Shoot for E to SE to NE winds at 10kts or below. Once winds crank 15kts or over, E winds are your only comfortable option, as you can run close in to the beach and be fine. Avoid any significant Northerly winds following a cold front in winter. Southerlies at or over 10 kts will produce a quartering to head sea containing the infamous Gulf Of Mexico Short Chop which you probably are familiar with.

My Rule Of Thumb: If seas are at or over 2 feet, I don't go. It's one thing to poke around local waters in those conditions; it's quite another to run 130+ miles in them. No thanks.

Route:

Planned Outage can contribute here, if he wants to: I run close inshore to Big Marco Pass. Then I head out to miss the Cape Romano Shoals. They extend about 10 miles offshore from Caxambas Pass South to Indian Key Channel.
From the Cape Romano Shoal Light, I either:

1.) Set a direct course on my chart plotter to Green # 13 just off Vaca Cut in Marathon. It's roughly an 80-mile run and using this rhumb line, you do not have to zig zag around shoals and the often unmarked coral banks common to the Gulf (inshore) side of the Keys Island Chain.

2.) If it's blowing 10+ out of the E or SE and it's rough going around Cape Romano, I'll cut back in on the South side of the shoal bank to Indian Key Channel or Pavilion Key and run the Everglades close in in about 6-7 feet of water.

Realize you'll have no cell coverage South of Everglades City 'till close in to Marathon.

Know your range in your 271. Figure less MPG than you normally achieve during local cruising. You have no fuel options South of Marco, unless you want to go to Everglades City thru Indian Key Channel.

Some break up the trip and overnight somewhere. if that is your preferred option, I would top off your tanks wherever you stay just for piece of mind. Remember your MPG drops significantly in rough sea conditions. Plan accordingly.

It's a great trip, as others have said. Just pick your days.

Last edited:

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
The 271 being a non-cabin boat if you pick you days it should a fun trip. I would assume you are getting a room somewhere. We always liked Hawk's Cay near Marathon. Farro Blanco in Marathon is great too. As is Key Colony Beach.

Awesome trip to cruise the Keys in the Winter.

Can't help much below Marathon. Have fun!

RAYK

Reaction score
thank you all

any runs direct to KW from FMB or NAPLES/MARCO

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Magicalbill, do not know the area of that trip you have just described so well, being from Vancouver Island Canada. Is there any way you could show a chart with that run laid out on it. Sounds fascinating and so different from our tours up here in the north country. If not, certainly understandable. Great description of a trip I can only dream about.

Reactions: magicalbill

PlannedOutage

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 336
RAYK:

I have made that run in my previous boat, a 232 Gulfstream many times.

It's roughly 130-140 miles from San Carlos Bay to Marathon, depending on your course.

A short (by my standards) rundown of things to plan for & expect.

WX:
Summer months give you more consistent calm days. During winter, departure times are best timed between cold fronts when the winds veer E to SE before the arrival of the next front.

Shoot for E to SE to NE winds at 10kts or below. Once winds crank 15kts or over, E winds are your only comfortable option, as you can run close in to the beach and be fine. Avoid any significant Northerly winds following a cold front in winter. Southerlies at or over 10 kts will produce a quartering to head sea containing the infamous Gulf Of Mexico Short Chop which you probably are familiar with.

My Rule Of Thumb: If seas are at or over 2 feet, I don't go. It's one thing to poke around local waters in those conditions; it's quite another to run 130+ miles in them. No thanks.

Route:

Planned Outage can contribute here, if he wants to: I run close inshore to Big Marco Pass. Then I head out to miss the Cape Romano Shoals. They extend about 10 miles offshore from Caxambas Pass South to Indian Key Channel.
From the Cape Romano Shoal Light, I either:

1.) Set a direct course on my chart plotter to Green # 13 just off Vaca Cut in Marathon. It's roughly an 80-mile run and using this rhumb line, you do not have to zig zag around shoals and the often unmarked coral banks common to the Gulf (inshore) side of the Keys Island Chain.

2.) If it's blowing 10+ out of the E or SE and it's rough going around Cape Romano, I'll cut back in on the South side of the shoal bank to Indian Key Channel or Pavilion Key and run the Everglades close in in about 6-7 feet of water.

Realize you'll have no cell coverage South of Everglades City 'till close in to Marathon.

Know your range in your 271. Figure less MPG than you normally achieve during local cruising. You have no fuel options South of Marco, unless you want to go to Everglades City thru Indian Key Channel.

Some break up the trip and overnight somewhere. if that is your preferred option, I would top off your tanks wherever you stay just for piece of mind. Remember your MPG drops significantly in rough sea conditions. Plan accordingly.

It's a great trip, as others have said. Just pick your days.

Very well said Magical Bill, you gave some great advice.

I live in Bonita Springs, but keep my boat at Fish Tale Marina on the south end of Estero Island (FMB). I made the run from FMB to Ramrod Key this past June. We had a great trip and caught a ton of fish. You can see the route I took based on the historical GPS track for the trip. The shallow waters in Florida Bay can be as smooth as glass or a nasty tight chop if the wind kicks up like it did when we made the trip down in June. On this route from FMB to Ramrod Key, we were navigating in waters that were 50 feet deep or less the entire trip down and back. The 271 should be a great boat for this trip with plenty of range.

1609007181873.jpeg

Last edited:

PlannedOutage

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 336
thank you all

I have run direct from FMB to KW in the past also... The trip is very similar as it is to any other of the FL keys from SWFL. The most important part is to ensure you have your route planned to make sure you enter the Keys in a channel that is properly marked with the depth you need even at low tide. Also, pay attention to the height of any bridges that you need to go under in the Keys as several of the bridges you see on a navigation chart have low clearance. Navionics.com or ActiveCaptain app for Garmin users is a great resource for pre-trip planning. The cost for mooring your boat in KW will be much more expensive in the keys than it is in most of the other keys. Also, depending on where you stay when on the island of KW, you may want to consider either taking a couple of bicycles with you, or renting some when you get there for a means to get around the island. Having a car on KW is unnecessary and parking a car in KW is expensive as well.

Last edited:

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Trap:

I wish I could...my computer technical expertise is in short supply. I tell myself I need to devote time to get a tighter grip on "copying" "pasting" and the assorted other aspects of Modern Day Living. It never seems to get done.

Please refer to Planned Outage's map that you see on this thread. Note that he maintains a Southerly track and that track takes him further offshore once South of Cape Romano. The only difference in his and my track is the heading. I bend SSE toward Marathon while he heads directly to Ramrod Key.

It is indeed a neat trip, loaded with variation. You get the "Sun Coast Florida" Vibe in spades as you motor past the white sand beaches in the foreground, backed by the kick-butt Hi-Rise Condos that line the coast all the way to Marco. From there around Cape Romano, it goes to complete Wilderness with no facilities except for Everglades City.

During the times I run close in to the Everglades to escape the chop on windy days,, all I see are endless mangroves along the shore, and the only people I encounter are indifferent local fishermen in flats boats who barely look up as I motor past. It is within this stretch of No Man's Land that I always come to grips with the insane price I paid for my dependable Yamaha OB's. In the event of engine failure, your companions are sharks, saltwater crocs (infrequent), and alligators (everywhere) in the brackish backwaters. Your VHF is your best friend....

There are tributaries off the Gulf to escape storms or to explore and/or fish. Shark River, North of Cape Sable is the most notable of these and is well-marked. I have friends who anchor inside the river mouth; sometimes they have trouble getting a "Set" on their ground tackle, due to the hard clay in the seabed, but they have all passed comfortable nights there. Bug spray is as essential as life jackets during the warmer months and I don't think it unlikely that on a still night, Captain & Crew could get carried away much like the Flying Monkeys carried Dorothy & Toto to the Witch's Castle.

Planned Outage:

Thanks for the kind words and for putting your track up. You are correct describing Fla Bay; It can be a marvelous cruise or a Trip That Never Ends, depending on wind.

Your Canyon 33 would rock on a run like this; I'll bet it's a great ride. I have to duck & dodge waves & wind over 10kts.

I also concur that a 271 would be a good choice.

RAYK:

Hookup1's shore side accommodations are good picks;

I have stayed at both places and highly recommend. Faro Blanco is an easy, straight-in approach and has a Hyatt Place on site. Hawks Cay has a marked channel & perimeter canal that you transit to get there. It's just West of the Long Key Bridge on Duck Key. They just rebuilt after Hurricane Irma in 2017..I have not stayed there since, but I'll bet it's still top-tier. If, as you mention, your Bogey is Key West, Galleon's Marina is the go-to joint there. Equipped with floating docks, good grouper sandwiches, and all the weirdo's Key West is famous for, it is indeed a memorable stay.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
RAYK - I don't know how much experience you have being offshore. I don't mean to offend you but you need to consider your Captain skills and if you are comfortable with the responsibilities this trip entails. Coastal cruising/fishing in populated areas is one thing. At some point on this trip you will be 60 miles offshore of any marinas, out of radio range and possibly with no help in site. This a serious trip that should be a lot of fun - just plan accordingly.

Do your route planning ahead of time and upload to your chart plotter. Include an alternate (maybe Marathon) in case the weather changes your heading. Make sure your radio is 100%, safety gear is up to date and bring an EPIRB. Sounds like you will be doing this on a "new" boat too. Wait for the right weather - even if you have to delay a few days.

If I were doing this with a few fishing buddies no problem. If I were doing this with my family maybe I would have them drive down and meet me.

Years ago when my kids were early teens I took my boat South for the winter. Getting the boat to FL from NJ and back was not fun - just a job. Kept boat in Pompano Beach. We would fly down for all the Holiday's. Spent a few Christmas's at Hawks Cay, went North to sailfish out of Palm Beach and made a few trips to Bimini (only 60 miles from Miami). I always wanted to do the Dry Tortugas but never made it that far down. The Keys are an awesome place. You might even consider leaving the boat down there for a few weeks .

Enjoy and stay safe!

PlannedOutage

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 336
At some point on this trip you will be 60 miles offshore of any marinas, out of radio range and possibly with no help in site. This a serious trip that should be a lot of fun - just plan accordingly.

Great advice Hookup! Definitely have an EPIRB on board and a good VHF.

PlannedOutage

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 336
Your Canyon 33 would rock on a run like this; I'll bet it's a great ride. I have to duck & dodge waves & wind over 10kts.

It does ride pretty good, but in tight shallow Gulf water chop, even a 336 can feel small out there!

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I believe it. Great idea on mentioning the low bridges that span the cuts between the Bay side and Hawk Channel side. Many are not marked and knowing your bridge clearance ahead of time is a big deal, especially if a strong tidal current is pushing you toward said structure.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks magicalbill and Planned Outage for the great tutorial. Vicarious travel is better than none at all......thanks for that! Certainly so different from my many Grady laid back trips here off Vancouver Island. where it is beautiful boating country. Where you are is a different but beautiful experience that requires a lot of preparation and boat skills. My commercial fishing days required approx. 10 days out with no site of land on some trips. Yes some very lumpy waters and miserable weather but there was little chance for collisions with reefs or structures...just careful navigating on heading in to port. Also a 40 ft troller can take a fair bit of weather without too much nerve rattle.

RAYK

Reaction score
Very well said Magical Bill, you gave some great advice.

I live in Bonita Springs, but keep my boat at Fish Tale Marina on the south end of Estero Island (FMB). I made the run from FMB to Ramrod Key this past June. We had a great trip and caught a ton of fish. You can see the route I took based on the historical GPS track for the trip. The shallow waters in Florida Bay can be as smooth as glass or a nasty tight chop if the wind kicks up like it did when we made the trip down in June. On this route from FMB to Ramrod Key, we were navigating in waters that were 50 feet deep or less the entire trip down and back. The 271 should be a great boat for this trip with plenty of range.

View attachment 18019
Planned outage- thank you!
I may know you, I worked at FTM for 2 years and had various boats there since 2002

PlannedOutage

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 336
I may know you, I worked at FTM for 2 years and had various boats there since 2002

Could be. I have only had my Grady 336 since July 2019. Prior to this boat, I kept a Shamrock at FTM. I bought my lightly used 336 on consignment from Fish Tale Boats in Ft Myers last year. I looked at many twin engine new boats in the 27-30 foot range when I stumbled on to the deal on my older (2008) 336. While my budget kept me in an older Grady, the quality of GW is definitely what brought me to the brand. Let us know what you decide. If you don't already have a salesman that you are working with at Fish Tale Boats, I had a great experience with my purchase from David Russo.

Doug

Last edited:

Dhirsh

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 336
thank you all

Ray, Like the others have said, You really have to pick your weather this time of year to make that run from Marco to Key west. I live in Naples and have made the trip multiple times in a 25ft boat. My experience is you only get good sea conditions about 25% of the time. And that usually doesn't align with your schedule. The middle keys route is a little more protected and you can stay closer to land as you run along the edge of the Everglades national park and 10,000 islands area. Summer is a different story. We can have multiple days of calm weather in a row and going either direction is probably fine. I use sites like Sailflow.com and windfinder.com to see what the expected wind is going to be. They both give you future forecasts that are reasonably accurate. If I see winds in the 10 to 15 MPH zone between Marco and the Keys, I don't go. It almost certainly means its really 15 with occasional 20 and the Gulf's short choppy wave periods will bang your teeth out no matter what you are driving. That trip is one of the reasons I upgraded to a 336..More days on the water and less trip cancellations because of weather. By the way, you have a really good Grady dealer in FMB with Fishtale. I know the owner well and he takes great care of his customers. Let me know if you need any more specific Keys info. I spend a fair amount of time down there.