272/282 Sailfish with A/C

Leebert

Reaction score
Are you going to run a 4" duct to the head or something smaller? I installed an AC this winter in my Marlin. It's a 1994. According to the factory manual for that year they did not have AC going to the head. I would like to run a 2-3" duct to it due to space limitations and the limited cooling area in the head. I was thinking if I could find a small and quiet exhaust fan I could cool the head that way instead of running another hose. All I would need to do is add a vent from the head to the cabin. The exhaust fan would be mounted high in the head area and suck in the cooler cabin air.

Would something like this work for you too?

LB

ahill

Reaction score
The ID is probably 21/2". The vent itself is plastic and can be closed tightly to prevent water intrusion from the shower. We use a sun shower or the stern shower so that's not a problem.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Ahill, thanks

I did find a pass to get into the head from the forward V bunk back rest, comes right out under the sink, but its a long haul from the steps where unit would be. If I came around the stern side there is big gap between the head outer wall and hulll, and plenty of surface area to locate vent fitting. To get there I can follow the head hoses via the head tank compartment, need only to bore one hole in one stringer on the port side and drop the foam a bit to get into the under-step area.

It is surprising to find how much wasted space is under/behind fixtures in the cabin.

In any event, only need the one outlet in the step rise but was wondering. Nice to dry out the head with cool air, no ventilation in there.

I'm still pondering since the amount of height under my steps is borderline on being not enough, just like every other job I've done in the cabin! Going to install the intake water thru-hull/valve before boat goes in, in case I want to continue after being launched.

ahill

Reaction score
OK Your 252 is certainly different than the 272 in that area.
You can always close off the vent to the head if you don't need air there.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Ahill, where is the cold air outlet from the unit, top, or L or R?

ahill

Reaction score
It's on the top.
I checked the head vent and ID is probably 1-1/2" maybe 2".I'll verify this we.
I took all the aft cabin sides out and was amazed at the space there. I don't think my setup would permit the vent to follow the head hoses due to the holding tank.
I do have a vent in the aft cabin as well.
Both that vent and the vent in the step are muli directional and can be closed down with a twist knob.
I'll try to remember to take more pics this we.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I appreciate it.

Ironically, my year thru 1993 wasn't offered with a microwave, frig, nor A/C as a options, from 1994 and on- they were.

What a bit-h doing the microwave and frig, seems the same with A/C - since I want to get it similar to OEM quality. Otherwise could screw it into the lower berth deck in 10 minutes and be done with it.

At the minimum since I'm running out of time still dry docked, I'm getting the intake thru hull in and already have a spare outlet thru hull from the retired (removed) ice box, just need a reducer. Can continue when launched.

Thanks.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If the head vent hose is 2 in or less ID, did they use 4 inch ID for the step vent ?

The supply air outlet off the A/C unit is 4", and the DIYer instructions usually show 4 inch hose going to every vent, wuith a minimum of one vent required, recommend two, for the 6500 btu unit.

Leebert

Reaction score
BobP said:
If the head vent hose is 2 in or less ID, did they use 4 inch ID for the step vent ?

The supply air outlet off the A/C unit is 4", and the DIYer instructions usually show 4 inch hose going to every vent, wuith a minimum of one vent required, recommend two, for the 6500 btu unit.

I am also curious how the smaller hose is tapped into the system. With my 6500 btu system I have a top exit "Y". Sorry, I'm not trying to hijack the thread.

LB

ahill

Reaction score
No Hijack, valid point.
It looks like I'm going to have to pull my refrig and return air grill and do an as built on the system for the cause.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Perhaps you can see it through the return grill area, save some work!

ahill

Reaction score
I've pulled it before & it gives a good visual of the supply. I also want to seee if I can duct the return air. I pulled the refer to write down info tag data.