272 2nd house batt location?

fishbust

Reaction score
I always need a back up plan. Not comfortable having only 1 house batt. Anyone add a 2nd one? Looking for a good place to put it and wire it to the other house batt via an ACR for charging.

fishbust

Reaction score
Hmmm. Looks like I may have just enough room under livewell. I took out the livewell to remove my oil tanks to clean them and replace the filters, seems just enough room there.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I had built some shelving in the rear area next to existing batteries to extend the shelf over the bilge area and installed larger group 29's on the port side for the starting batteries (formerly Group 24's) and then added 2 new house batteries tied together as one large house on the starboard side. Installed 3rd battery switch to control the house and have the Yamaha aux. charging wire harness installed to send the charge to these batteries when running.
This is an ideal setup for me and testing the drain on the electronics for over 2 hours, I never got below 12.4 volts on my HDS units that used to go down to 12 in an hour.

ahill

Reaction score
I have 2 house & 2 starting under the rear seat on a shelf.
1switch for port 1 switch for stbd. and 2 batt Perko for house batts.

fishbust

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I decided a 2nd house batt is going under the live well and wired in parallel to the 1st house batt and wiring in a pair of Yandina combiners, 1 between each cranking batt and house batt. Being the combiners are bi-directional, as long as 1 motor is running or dockside charger is on, everything will be charging. Will get longer life out of the house batts in parallel and will provide the extra juice of drifting offshore all day with many accessories running.

fishbust

Reaction score
Well got the 2nd house batt installed under livewell after re-installing my oil tanks after a drain, flush and new oil filters.
Got one of the new Group 27 Interstate Pro series in there. More lead, more capacity and longer warranty than the standard deep cycle 27's.
Decided against wiring in parallel. Removing the house on/off switch and installing a selector switch. Would rather use 1 house batt and have the other as back up in reserve. It is an offshore thing with me, have to have a back up for everything.

Tomorrow starting wiring and combiners.

029_zps36766b56.jpg

fishbust

Reaction score
So here we go, all wired up with combiners and removed on/off switch in trade for a selector switch to use 1 house batt and have another in reserve.
Had plenty of room on the back board once I spread everything out a little more.

The combiners allow all batteries to charge with a charge present, regardless of switch position. No more flipping switches.
Both motors will run on batt 1, batt 2 in reserve.
House will run on house batt 1, house batt 2 in reserve.

003_zpsd0d9cae6.jpg

1998sailfish

Reaction score
I noticed that the Interstate battery you have used as a second house is not a sealed maintenance free unit based on the caps. I have used that model. Correct me if I an wrong but locating it under the live well means that you must disconnect piping and remove the live well to check levels and service that battery? I own the same boat and understand what is required to remove the live well having done so to change inline filters and pumps on oil tanks that Grady could have relocated. Have you installed a rectangular access door in the vertical face in front of the live well that currently has a round hand hole installed ?

Reactions: GW Miami

1998sailfish

Reaction score
Ahill"s location works well when all batteries are turned to a "end in" configuration. I have laid that out in the past but never made the move to change.

fishbust

Reaction score
The livewell will be removed to check water. I never cook my batteries, so literally once a year I need to add some water, done in the winter after a big charge.
Trickle charging keeps them up and they can sit a month without ill effects.
I use 2 primary batts and the other 2 are fully charged and waiting in reserve. The combiners will take care of them all, so I need no longer to swap the 2 I am using every other week, as in the past on other boats I have owned.

I decided not to turn the batteries on end at this time. That would put the battery terminals out of reach on one side. My other 3 batteries, since I cannot date them, will be changed out over the next year. 1 more now, then 2 next year at which time I will decided on turning all the batteries or cutting the livewell in half and/or adding a front access panel and maybe a storage draw with that. That livewell is useless to me and taking up too much room. Room that can be made useful to me. The boat lacks a real tackle locker with real drawers for my offshore tackle and that is a great place for it. Perfect place for it. I may do away with the livewell completely. So things are in a transition period this first season with the boat and will see how things go.

1998sailfish

Reaction score
Best of luck with your layout. See you out there. We frequent the Fish Tales and with my twin 225 ox66's I'm looking into a 50 gal. fuel bladder and T's for added safety when we refuel at Montauk before heading out. I use my live well for keeping live bluefish when sharking. Which is 50% of our offshore trips in a 27' boat while we wait for those light and variable days.

fishbust

Reaction score
1998sailfish said:
I noticed that the Interstate battery you have used as a second house is not a sealed maintenance free unit based on the caps. I have used that model. Correct me if I an wrong but locating it under the live well means that you must disconnect piping and remove the live well to check levels and service that battery? I own the same boat and understand what is required to remove the live well having done so to change inline filters and pumps on oil tanks that Grady could have relocated. Have you installed a rectangular access door in the vertical face in front of the live well that currently has a round hand hole installed ?

I was not sure what I was going to do about the livewell, decided to keep it and went for installing a hatch today. So much easier getting to those hoses this way too.
In the future I really want some useful tackle drawers there but there is always next winter for another project.
For now just a basic hatch to gain access.....

gradyhatch004_zpsf4c80288.jpg

gradyhatch005_zps08b013ac.jpg