272 Sailfish has twin 150s is that too light?

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Here is an old report from when the 272 was new comparing the twin 2 stroke 200's vs 225's. Like others said depending on what you want to do with the boat. On mine we typically cruise around the bay and shellfish and tie up at the beach, for where my boat is moored it is mostly all no wake and anything would be sufficient for that.

When we go out into the sound fishing or cutting over to Marthas Vineyard only about 5 miles away I don't think I would want anything less than the 200's. The 1994 didn't have the extended running surface either, mine does but I have read some say the years without were heavy in the rear. If you are not overly worried about economy you might find a newer 272 with OX66's for that price or less.

I will say I love the boat. My father and I had a few 22-24' boats over the years and the 272 is a significant difference we felt. Although I have tossed around the idea on selling and just making due with my fathers Sportsman for a few seasons, my next boat would be a newer Sailfish or a Marlin.