272 Sailfish re power

Palmolotte

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have a ‘96 272 Sailfish with twin 200 2 stroke yamahas that I’m needing to re power. Manual says max 450hp. Does anyone know if that’s for weight reason or transom stability? Also, if anyone has put 250 4 stroke yamahas, did you need new mounting holes drilled and what spacing between engines? Thanks

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I can't answer the physical questions that you mentioned above in terms of the hull, engine mounting/spacing and so forth, though I will say that your old 200 Yamaha 2 strokes weighed in the 420 lb range per outboard, depending on which model you have/had. Comparatively, the lightest 4 stroke outboards currently on the market would be Mercury, specifically the Mercury 200-225 FourStroke series. Which is 475 lbs for the lightest version, of which I'm going to assume that's for the 20" shaft version and that yours is a 25" shaft version. So, it'll probably be 10-20 lbs more per outboard on top of the 475 lb number. If you're looking for maximum horsepower then I'd go with the Mercury 225 FourStroke, especially since it's the same weight as the 200 version. The rest of the competition is going to be all over 500 lbs... the Yamaha 200/225 are going to be in the 525-550 lb range and Suzuki is going to be even heavier than that. Same goes for Honda.

Reactions: Late Again Grady

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
The transoms are designed to support a certain amount of HP and a given engine weight. Lookup the weight on your engines. Try to find a 4-stroke combination of engine that get's you close. Exceeding the limit could be a insurance problem for you. On my Islander I have to stay with inline 4-cylinder. You should be able to handle the v-6's.

Talk to motor dealers with your others question. I know what I don't know - let them guide you. Then see what the GG group has to say.

Fishtales

Reaction score
The Yamaha F250 is the same as the F225 from a weight perspective. I'd still go with the F225 so you are not overpowering the boat and risking insurance issues as stated. Plenty enough for that boat.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
Does the manual state also the max outboard weight?
Not sure why one couldn't have a 200 hp v6 or even a v8. Both Yamaha and Mercury make a 200 hp v6, and Mercury even makes a 200 hp v8.

I had a Suzuki DF200T V6 (same engine as 200/225/250 HP with different ECU) on my Dive Panga in Costa Rica and it was the best outboards I ever had. 3600 hours with absolutely no problem at all and if weight is not a issue I would buy it again.
Unfortunately Suzuki makes this model only with mechanical control, not really a issue on a single engine boat while on twins a digital control is definitively more comfortable to use as maneuvering can be done using only one hand.

The considerable lighter (80 lbs) model would be the DF200A inline 4 cylinder what is still a great motor and comes either with mechanical or digital control/s. The difference between both is that the Df200 is lowest HP for that model while the I-4 is the highest HP model of that series.

I just noticed that the DF200T V6 is not available in US, so in case of Suzuki it has to be the same V6 DF225T

Chris

Last edited:

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Grady White redesigned the transoms in the late '90's. Some earlier models (like my 268 Islander) has Euro transoms where the hull running surface stopped short of the transom/motor mount. This worked like a bracket to get the engine in cleaner water. They eliminated the Euro transom (on the 270 Islander) and took the running surface all the way to the transom/motor mount to accommodate the new 4-stroke engines that were heavier than the 2-strokes.

I would expect a ‘96 272 Sailfish to have a Euro transom.

I have only seen HP rating of the hulls in brochures. You should look at how the hull was originally equipped and get a weight based on those engines. You should be fine with V-6 block motors.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Does the manual state also the max outboard weight?

I had a Suzuki DF200T V6 (same engine as 200/225/250 HP with different ECU) on my Dive Panga in Costa Rica and it was the best outboards I ever had. 3600 hours with absolutely no problem at all and if weight is not a issue I would buy it again.
Unfortunately Suzuki makes this model only with mechanical control, not really a issue on a single engine boat while on twins a digital control is definitively more comfortable to use as maneuvering can be done using only one hand.

The considerable lighter (80 lbs) model would be the DF200A inline 4 cylinder what is still a great motor and comes either with mechanical or digital control/s. The difference between both is that the Df200 is lowest HP for that model while the I-4 is the highest HP model of that series.

I just noticed that the DF200T V6 is not available in US, so in case of Suzuki it has to be the same V6 DF225T

Chris
I’ve never seen anything in the brochures about a maximum weight for the outboards. I think quite literally the biggest issue with the Suzuki 225 would be its weight at 606 lbs. Considering the current motors that the OP has are around 420 lbs a piece, an extra almost 200 lbs per motor or 400 lbs total, would be rather absurd imo.

Palmolotte

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks for the info. Correct on the current motors s200 txru @ 420 lbs x 2. Attached is the hull/ transom view. Would definitely like to go with the zukes df200, if I can find a good used pair. Can’t justify 45k for new ones.

Attachments

• 8FB6232F-F6A7-497E-B0D7-670EB28B52A7.jpeg
    8FB6232F-F6A7-497E-B0D7-670EB28B52A7.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 13
Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
That's a Euro transom. You really need to talk to someone with your hull who has repowered. Those 6-cylinder blocks will add 200 lbs. Search this site for scuppers under water to see what boat they have.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
The inline 4 df200 AP (digital) weighs around 530 lbs. The AT (mechanical) model weighs a little less and is a little easier on the wallet. Depending on where you are located, you might be able to pick up a pair for $35k installed plus Uncle Sam gratuity.
You'll need to assess if your hull can handle the extra 200 lbs collectively. Have 200 lbs of human stand between the existing engines. Have 2 more people stand in the back of the boat. Look at your scuppers. If submerged, you have other decisions to make.
For what it's worth, inline 4 f200s are bout 50 lbs lighter than the Zukes x2. They are tough to find used in a condition worth buying, but you never know what might be out there till you look.
Used Merc v6s would be ideal, but finding them is even harder than the Yamahas.

Palmolotte

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Roger that.I’m in Texas and the two quotes I got for df200 apx installed were both around 45k.

FishMagic

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Roger that.I’m in Texas and the two quotes I got for df200 apx installed were both around 45k.
I have a 97' 272 that we repowered in 2018 with the Suzuki df200ATs. Motor weight is 509lbs per motor. With 150 gallons of fuel the scuppers are still above the waterline when boat is at rest. 30 knot cruise in nice seas is around 1.8 MPG. She tops out at 39 knots with 100 gal of fuel. Haven't had any issues with the Suzuki's. Love them.