272 Trailer Bunk Measurements

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
The boat is in the water and I have to setup the new trailer. I emailed Grady and they sent me a drawing but it doesn't show how wide to set the bunks. Anyone with a 272 Sailfish able to measure their bunks and let me know where they are set? I was going to pull it this weekend for some service and fuel

Thanks

ahill

Reaction score
Try contacting Boat Master Trailers. They make a model specific to the 272. Maybe they will help.

freddy063

Reaction score
I got 50 1/2 between them od 54 1/2. outside

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Ask GW for their "LCG Bunk and Buttocks" spreadsheet. It has all the numbers for various models. I tried to attach the old one I have, but it wouldn't take a pdf file.

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Thanks for all the replies everyone! I managed to get the boat on the trailer, but it was not pretty at first, the boat was way too far forward and placing too much stress on the front of the trailer. It is sitting balanced now, but want to get it about 10" forward to place a little more weight on the tongue. I thought it looked wrong with so much hanging off the rear of the trailer, but after googling a bunch of photos they all seem to be like that.

The dealer told me this would have been the proper trailer get for the boat, but if I was towing frequently and across long distances I would feel a lot more comfortable with a triple axle. The ramp we are using is also steep and short which was not helping our cause. The boat is only getting moved back and forth once or twice a year about 3 miles each way so this will suit my needs well.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
That's way too far back on the trailer. There shouldn't be any hull sticking past the rear of the bunks. Get that set, then move the axles if you need to adjust the tongue weight.

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
This is the document Grady sent me. I took it as the bunks should start 2' in from the rear. I have to swing by the dealer for some Yamaha parts and will ask them too, they have always been helpful. I did move it about 8-10" forward from this photo also. Put the boat on jacks rands and deflated the tires and worked good.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Maybe they're referencing the use of (4) bunks, in total? But even then, it's still best to have the bunks go all the way to the transom. 2' is a lot of hull sticking out over the bunks and could lead to a 'hook' in the hull... not good. Grady's have a strong hull, but there's no way I would chance it. I work in the marine industry and setting up trailers is one of the things I do around the place. Not day in and day out, but after 27 years I've seen "a few" trailer setups... :wink: Best practice = bunks to the transom and adjust axles for proper tongue weight.

Andrew93

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 305
DennisG01 said:
Maybe they're referencing the use of (4) bunks, in total? But even then, it's still best to have the bunks go all the way to the transom. 2' is a lot of hull sticking out over the bunks and could lead to a 'hook' in the hull... not good. Grady's have a strong hull, but there's no way I would chance it. I work in the marine industry and setting up trailers is one of the things I do around the place. Not day in and day out, but after 27 years I've seen "a few" trailer setups... :wink: Best practice = bunks to the transom and adjust axles for proper tongue weight.

Understood and I agree that it did seem strange. My original thought was that post 1999 Sailfish's had the rear transom step up about that point anyways. I will look into moving the axels forward, but I know there is not a ton of room. The dealer recommended this model trailer so I will see what they would do to set it up, maybe even make longer bunks.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
ahill said:
The drawing is for a pre 1998 Sailfish with the stepped Euro transom
Correct, and everything is moved forward. Medic appears to have newer hull design and I think it should sit further forward on the trailer. Not too trailer savy, but when I hear bunks that's carpeted timbers correct? I have a roller trailer maybe that's different.