273 chase

oppiefive

Reaction score
Hello everyone..I am new to this forum so I thank you for having me. I am in te market for a 273 or 283 chase. I have come across a 2006 with twin 150 yami's Asking price with nice electronics is 67,000. A fair price? My next question is the performance of this boat ok with the twin 150's?

I have also looked at the 28 sailfish with twin 250 Yamis, any comparison to the Grady?

Thanks for your help

Peter

TunaT

Reaction score

peter slow down first of all the 273 is called the chase while the 283 is now referred to as the canyon 283. Comparing them is one thing but when you add a sailfish to the mix you are talking about something totally different. Center consoles vs cuddy.....now that is an argument for the ages. the one thing we know is you are looking at a 273 2006 with t/150 and you asked is it underpowered? Answer is maybe, but depends on what you are going to do with it. For some its a prefect match. how about getting us some info so we can better respond to you, type of fishing, location (ocean, bay, lake), primary/secondary usages. We have a large group on this forum that basically don't jump to conclusions without some good info...so we will be willing to help, just you need to slow down and feed us some info so we are all on the same rack.....and welcome

oppiefive

Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion, The Sailfish I mentioned was the manufacturer, not the model. I do little fishing on this boat and will use it mainly for crusing. I am located on Long Island so it will be used as a combination ocean and bay boat.

Thanks again

Peter

TunaT

Reaction score
273/283/sailfish

ok, lets see if I can at least give you my honest opinion based on what you said you are looking for. First, I'm more familiar with the 273, while one of my fishing partners runs the 283, so I can speak on their differences, etc...the sailfish well, I see a few around and don't want to sound negative, but I never really see them far from land. Is it an owner thing or is it the boat. I'm not sure which it is but when I'm bouncing around the canyons or the 30 fathom line, you run into all kinds of boats, but for the life of me I don't remember seeing a sailfish out that far. Take that for what it is worth... Now to what I know the 273 ... for example is the largest boat in length that you can legally trailer in most states, it only has an 8.5 ft beam. This is a positive and negative....first of all less boat in the water to move then the 283 which is a foot longer but also a foot wider, I travel faster and get better gas mileage then my counter part , if both of us running the same rpm's. On the neg side, I do take more of a pounding, weight is friend as well as your enemy and oh though the 273 rides well, the 283 makes a difference that extra 1000 pounds of fiberglass is good for something. Second, when at a drift, again the wider boat shows its advantages by lessing the roll. Now, don't get me wrong, I've own several boats before I got the grady and the grady is by far the best of all of them...but that wider, heavier boat will be a difference. To me the difference was night and day for the 273 over the 283 in that i could trailer the boat without restrictions or extra tagging. If your going to dock the boat and have someone else deal with moving storage and don't mind a little bit of extra fuel burn go with the larger boat. If your into getting the most bang for your buck on and off the water, I perfer the 273.....my suggestion to you is "test drive" both of them, if the dealership won't setup a test drive then take you business someplace different. If buying from person get a marine survey completed...whatever you decide, i would recommend you stick with the grady

oppiefive

Reaction score
I did it!!! put a deposit on a 2005 283 release. Twin 250 4 stroke yamis. 400 hours. Yard maintained with all the service records. Boat is loaded with northstar 9000i, furuno FF, simrad radar and autopiloit..I am FLYING!!!

Thanks again and hope to remain on this wonderful board

Peter

RRED

Reaction score
Congratulations! I have 800 hours on my 05 283 and still love the boat. Ask away, I'm happy to share any info.

Blackbird

Reaction score
You made a good choice. I have a 283 (my model was called the Release) and I couldn't be more pleased. It's been a great boat. Happy to share any experiences or tips I can with you.

JJB

oppiefive

Reaction score

Thanks everyone,I amcurious to know how she handles dockside with the twin250 Yamis. What is the actual burn rate on the engines at optimal cruise? Can I get replacment cushions for the bow filler?

thanks my friends