275 Freedom Gel Coat Cracks

Goodstuff

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
I have a 2021 275 Freedom I boat new a year ago. I have had dozens of gel coat cracks near snaps, as well as a huge spider crack on the deck near the waste pump-out. Now the cracks are re-appearing. I havre had a long list of quality issues with this boat. I refere to it as a Monday Morning Hull. The dealer has been mostly responsive with my punch list, but quality issues continue to arise. I just finished removing and re-installing the draw bank behind th3e helm seat. Mine fell out due to a sloppy installation at the factory. Is anyone else seeing problems with their Freedom that are surprising for a Grady White??
I have had several conversations with Grady White and so far have received a bunch of hats and blankets, but no fix for my boat. The only reason that I spent over 200K on a brand new Grady White was that I have owned a Grady for over ten years and believed that they were the best in the business. I would not buy another new Grady White unless I was able to watch it get assembled piece by piece because no-one at Grady White that matters is doing that. I should have bought a Whaler!!!!

Attachments

• 32D092EF-AA32-4CF8-B3DE-E33735AC101A.jpeg
    32D092EF-AA32-4CF8-B3DE-E33735AC101A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 32

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd try to contact Kris Carroll at GW directly and get it on her radar.

Reactions: igblack87

Goodstuff

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
I'd try to contact Kris Carroll at GW directly and get it on her radar.
Thank you for the tip I will reach out to her first thing Monday

Attachments

• 84383479-3BDB-4914-B716-28BFB18B7DF7.jpeg
    84383479-3BDB-4914-B716-28BFB18B7DF7.jpeg
    333.2 KB · Views: 77

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
The issues you mentioned would be incredibly frustrating on a new purchase from a company that demands a premium for promised quality. For whatever reason, they missed the mark. Good thing is GW seems to be very responsive by going out of their way to make original owners satisfied.
We understand that you shouldn't have to, but I would detail your concerns in writing, contact the dealer and let them know you want the entire boat gone over to address issues.
I 100% agree with skunk. Looks like someone skipped a vital installation step. If the dealer isn't highly responsive go to Grady directly and ask for a thorough review of your boat to address multiple build defects.

Reactions: PointedRose

grady23

Reaction score
I have to agree that the snap retaining screws are done with self-tapping screws. Remove every one of them and have Grady make this right by refinishing the holes and installing the snaps correctly

seasick

Reaction score
Agreed. Its appears they were not properly beveled and driven too tight.
My concern is that I don't understand what got crushed if the screws were too tight. The space behind the outer skin is either hollow or 'cored' with something ( probably hollow) To make a stress crack the skin under the snap base must have been pulled up and flexed the gel coat. If the screws weren't gorilla tight, it means that the skin is not strong enough for the application and that is worrisome..
Usually you will see those kind of stress cracks after a long period of time and use.
Hopefully the Grady repair holds up.

Goodstuff

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
This year the boat went back to the dealer and re-repaired 9 snaps with gel coat cracks. I just brought the boat back to Florida for the winter. I have discovered several cracks originating under the windshield frame. Looks like another trip to Maine for more body work. I’m disgusted with this boat.
I have talked to two reps from Grady White, each of them sent me some hats and license plates following our conversations. I have not received any solutions from Grady other than see my dealer. Port Harbor in Maine has been doing a great job trying to make this boat like new so I don’t blame them. I have always loved Grady Whites but I will never buy another one!!!!

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
How tight are the screws into the gelcoat?

Gelcoat could be too thick, holes drilled undersized and screws too tight. Different snap vendor - changed size. I like to right-size the screw holes and bed the hardware in 3M 4000 to keep them from working out.

Goodstuff

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
The dealer said they removed all of the snaps last spring, repaired the cracks, counter-sunk the holes properly, and bed the snaps in 5200 at my request. This past summer 9 of the snaps developed gelcoat cracks again. they were repaired last fall. My las Grady was a 2001 258 Voyager that I sold when I boat this boat in 2021. The voyager had chips around the edges of the compartment covers (cold weather issue with those hatches) but there were NO gel coat cracks in the boat. I should have never sold that boat it was a beauty!!

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
The chipping of the edges on hatches and hardtop are common. It has to do with the way GW builds them. The bottom edge isn't sealed well enough, water gets in and in a cold environment it pops the gelcoat. Something GW should have figured out.

Gel Chips.jpeg

Not sure what is going on with your snaps.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
The dealer said they removed all of the snaps last spring, repaired the cracks, counter-sunk the holes properly, and bed the snaps in 5200 at my request. This past summer 9 of the snaps developed gelcoat cracks again. they were repaired last fall. My las Grady was a 2001 258 Voyager that I sold when I boat this boat in 2021. The voyager had chips around the edges of the compartment covers (cold weather issue with those hatches) but there were NO gel coat cracks in the boat. I should have never sold that boat it was a beauty!!
I get that this is pisses you off. Everyone on this forum would feel similar. It can be a huge pain-in- the- ass to schedule and take a boat in for repairs. However, if this is the only issue, it isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Keep taking it back till it's right and enjoy your boat.
From what I have seen on this forum, Grady is good about handling defects well after warranties expire. The fact that this is happening under warranty leaves me no doubt they will continue to work with your dealer or another to get it right regardless of how long it takes.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I feel for you and hope they would stand behind it. Stay on it as once its out of warranty, you'll likely be on your own.