275 Help: Dual Console Door Windscreen

FishTaleAle

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 275
Greetings! First time/long time. This forum has been some help over the years. Hopefully I can pay it back a bit.

Any 275 Tournament/Freedom owners? For a 2008, I want to fabricate my own bi-fold door for the opening between the consoles. I have contacted dealer and Grady, with no luck so far on a retro kit or any tips. I have enough photos that I think I can recreate it with Starboard material. Most of the hardware & hinges are easy. But I'm coming up short on a couple pieces of hardware (see photos). I've searched as many hardware catalogs as I can get my hands on.

1) The sliding latch or bracket, that joins & secures bi-fold at the top. Does anyone have this bi-fold door latch (on a 255, 275, or 285 for example), and can look to see if there is a manufacturer stamp, or other clues?

2) the track or channel on the starboard side that receives and secures the door. My guess is I will need this fabricated and powder coated to match the Grady gelcoat. But has anyone seen a part like that before?

If I can pull this off, I will definitely post the project with photos. I have hours of Google searching and come up really empty for this one. Hard to know what keywords to use.

Thanks for any tips!

Attachments

• 6782352_0_210720181924_2.jpg
    6782352_0_210720181924_2.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 6813549_0_180820181028_4 Small.jpg
    6813549_0_180820181028_4 Small.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 31

Fishtales

Reaction score
Poke around on this site. There was a guy that was making panels, replacement bi-folding doors, drawers, rigging stations, cabinets etc. Maybe he could he could help. The think I'd explore is how to attach and more importantly what is behind the glass to anchor into. You'll need solid backing plates as the doors will get some use, shock from the sea and generally knocked around. You don't need to create an issue where they can't be mounted properly.

Rustygaff

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
I will be down to my boat this coming weekend and will check the hardware out for you. I believe the piece on the SB console side is nothing more than a starboard strip that acts as a stop.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I've seen this type of setup on various boats. The "channel" that I've seen is plastic. I bet Mcmaster Carr would have something like that... assuming you don't want to just get it from Grady. I've also seen different types of latches used to secure it in the open position. Point is... don't feel like you HAVE to do it the Grady way. From what I've seen, one way really isn't any better than other.

Have you thought about just using a rectangular piece of canvas that snaps in place? That sure would be simple and still serve the purpose.

Last edited:

FishTaleAle

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 275
Thanks for the replies/ideas!
I haven't had any luck finding the poster who was making bi-folds, etc. Will keep digging. Yes, I agree, will definitely need to backplate in the head compartment with quality hardware/thru-bolted.

They may have changed the design over the years. For the bi-fold door, I think it was a channel. For a single piece door (newer design), it might be a strip of Starboard with a catch on it.

I would love a single piece door, but don't think it would fit on this previous model generation (may interfere with head door). For the bi-fold, there are endless bolts I could use-- but the one in the photo above allows it to be opened from cockpit or bow area, which is important.

Lastly, I do have the fabric but we use it quite a bit in the Northwest and the fabric/snaps take a beating with kids back and forth. Thanks! Still on the hunt...

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
One piece door... starboard... correct.

Plenty of other manufacturers do this, too - they're pretty much all done the same way... in case you want to look around for ideas... but it's pretty straight forward.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have the canvas on my '93 Tournament, but it was designed by a moron. It zips open from the bottom, so that you would still have to get on your knees and crawl thru, since it does not separate at the top. It should zip down from the top, so that you can step thru.
For the stbd channel, take a flat strip of starboard and router a groove 1/16 wider than the door edge. Don't recall which brands, but I have seen some boats use the little rare earth disc magnets for closure. Counter sink a few in the door edge, and a few in the stop strip.
A solid door is a project I think about every fall.