275-- sliding, tossing --what to do?

viperdrum

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have gone from a 208 to 225 to now a 2016 Freedom 275. A fine boat with great amenities.

Here is my problem: I am having a hell of a time keeping it from sliding on its side. I play with the tabs etc but every time I get in it with a different number of people I feel like I am losing control over 25MPH.

Any ideas suggestions appreciated.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Can you explain what you mean by "sliding" better? I am envisioning slipping/sliding down a wake or wave - which would mean you're running parallel with them, which is typically the wrong thing to do.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
yes, more info. also, single or twin? that should be a fairly stable hull. ron

mboyatt

Reaction score
I agree with Dennis. More likely how you are driving the boat in certain conditions. That 275 shouldn't be sliding anywhere - even if folks were seated to one side of the boat. How does it handle opened up when flat calm?

viperdrum

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. Twin 200s. No wakes-- straight ahead and tends to heavily favor starboard . Like it wants to slide over on its side. Trim tabs help but it seems I am constantly adjusting dependent on crew.

I am first to say I'm not a pro even after 3 Grady's but I'm wondering if I was not better off with the wider beam of the 285.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Ah, OK, I understand you know. For reference, the term you want to use is "list" or "lean".

Are you running with the motors trimmed all the way down? That can cause too much hull to be in the water and when up on plane it can cause the exact scenario you are experiencing. Trimming up a few clicks should solve that.

Also how comfortable are you with tab usage? If you hold the button down until the boat gets to the attitude you want, you've held it down too long. Should be used with short bursts of the button and then wait and see how the boat settles out before touching the buttons again.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
agree with dennis. tabs require very little adjustment. and people moving around on a boat underway (not recommended because it's dangerous) will also shift attitude. happens on my 33 (and i yell at them to stop moving while underway).

check that motors trim up equally, they aren't actually synced. also, the trim tabs on the motor lowers should be straight or non-existent.

good luck, ron

ahill

Reaction score
If your motors don't have enough up trim you will wander around he forefoot.
Trim up to the point you don't cavitate and then adjust the tabs for windage,