275 Tournament Hardtop with Canvas vs Fiberglass

hydraporter

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 275
I'm considering going with a canvas top (instead of fiberglass) for a half tower on my Tournament 275. Cost and time to complete are the main factors. Fiberglass top with take 6-8 weeks longer and cost $3-4K more per our local fabricator. They are telling me canvas gives all the functionality of the fiberglass, including being able to put a crows nest and electronics box on it.

Has anyone done this and regretted not going with the fiberglass? What are the drawback of canvas over fiberglass? (other than cost and time to get it done)

Thanks for any input.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 17

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
... What are the drawback of canvas over fiberglass? (other than cost and time to get it done)
Thanks for any input.

Canvas will eventually fade...then drip...then tear
Hardtop you can mount some things in the future without welding in a backing plate

oh... Cannonballs off the hardtop

seasick

Reaction score
It's easier tp clean the bird poop off the fiberglass especially if it has been baking in the sun for a while:)
On a more serious note, are you planning on installing front, side and possibly aft curtains? If so, figure that cost into the total and maybe the added cost for the glass top won't look as bad after the shock wears off.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It doesn't take 6-8 weeks to build either one of them, so what they are saying is, canvas is easier to get.
If going with an enclosure, the tracks are easier to locate on the fiberglass, than on the pipe frame.
If it is the actual glass top that takes time, I would lace a canvas top on that frame, and say, call me when the top comes in.