275 Trashed

MRT

Reaction score
This boat was victim of the same storm mentioned in the other post. Appearently the owner picked it up just two weeks ago.

0518082035_1_.jpg

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Terrible to see any boat like that, and even worse for a new one.

And I certainly feel sorry for the owner.

But what happened? Did it blow off a trailer? or off a dry stack? If in the water, was it secured for bad weather?

We live a two-minute walk from the boat, so I have lots of access to add mooring lines if bad weather is coming. But even my "normal, every day" moor is six lines in our floating slip.

If you don't live close enough to the boat, or have a very reliable and knowledgeable person who does, then every time you head home the boat should be ready for at least the worst of the thunderstorms that come through that area.

Again, sorry for the damage to this beautiful Grady.

Brian

SlimJim

Reaction score
wow look at the hardtop it looks like it landed on the top as the rails are bent and then filpped back over? Wow that must have been one bad a$$ wind.

MRT

Reaction score
This was one of the many casuatlies of last Monday's storm, which was forcast to be a minor event, rain, possibly a little flooding, but came through with hurricane force winds and some of the worst flooding I have seen. Many were caught off guard, but at some of the marinas I don't think much would have helped short of hauling out. Not sure of the exact cause in this case, but appearently the entire marina where this boat was kept was destroyed. Several other marinas sustained similar damage.

Here are some other pictures & stories from the storm:

http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/showth ... p?t=139453

http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/showth ... p?t=139459

PMD 205

Reaction score
That sucks. Freak storms, one reason I'm glad I didn't get the bottom painted on my 205 and am keeping it on a lift, even though I never did the same for my old 17ft Whaler.

MRT

Reaction score
PMD 205 said:
That sucks. Freak storms, one reason I'm glad I didn't get the bottom painted on my 205 and am keeping it on a lift, even though I never did the same for my old 17ft Whaler.

I heard several people that kept their boats on lifts had problems when the water rose high enough to float them, but I am getting that third hand.

SOJOURN

Reaction score
Boat was docked in Ocean City, NJ, broadside to the NE wind. Dock failure caused boat to overturn and sink. Launched in April this year.

PJJR

Reaction score
What a shame, but you say it sank ? That is not supposed to happen ?

SOJOURN

Reaction score
It's my understanding that the 275 flipped on it's side due to the dock failure. Radome is destroyed also

30marlin

Reaction score
OMG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you see that 33 Wellcraft Coastal?????????

I almost bought that boat. It is for sale at All Seasons.

Thank god a few things stood out.

First there was a shipping label on the anchor addressed to DR. Gel-coat.
Nobody goes to DR. Gel-coat to buy an anchor.
Next the hull is painted. Wellcraft is a cheap manufacture and they don't paint there hulls. Next there is no registration numbers on the hull.
Then I found dried epoxy resin on the fore deck. Dried white gel-coat finger prints on the bow rail. The gel-coat repair was starting to peel. You could see the bow rail was re-welded. When you stand there for a half an hour and stare at the bow it looked so obvious this boat was trashed.

The price was too high for a storm damaged boat and the broker really looked dumbfounded when I pointed out what I found.
This damage was done at the marina he operates and he pretended he knew nothing about the boat being damaged.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/ ... ateyachts&

http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/attach ... 1210709172

striped bass

Reaction score
MRT:
The pic did not show on your post. Just a red X. All other pics in posts show fine. Would you kindly re-post the pic?
Thanks.