275 underpowered with twin 150

richlg202

Reaction score
Hello everyone. We are looking to buy a 2008 275 with twin yah 150 but we are very hesitant because of the power. I have read the performance data online and I know that it's only a 10mph difference with the 250hp but I'm still concerned with being able to have a full load and 6 or 7 people on board for the day and the boat not being able to get out of its ow way. I'm also curious how the boat handles in the open ocean. Has anyone taken this boat out 70+ miles?

I have found one online with twin 200hp but I'm not sure if the added weight is worth the extra weight. I would rather buy a used 275 with twin 250 but the only one for sale online does not have a hard top which is a must.

Last question is has anyone had a full load of people 6+ and fuel and gone wake boarding or skiing behind the boat. Does it have the power to pull a skier out of the water? Or is it a dog?

I'm just real worried and I plan on doing a sea trial but nothing beats real life info from people like you.

Thanks

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
We purchased our 2002 Islander 270 new in March 2002, with a single 250HP OX66. Definitely underpowered. We put 450hrs on it and repowered in Oct 2005, so we could have the fuel range to fish offshore.

The twin F150s have about 1250 hours on them, including about three dozen trips to the Norfolk Canyon and continental shelf area, about 80nm offshore.

Our hulls are the same, and our walkaround weighs about the same as the 275 does now.

We run offshore with a huge amount of fishing gear, four or five people onboard, and 200-250 pounds of ice.

Would I like more power - sure. Do we have any issues - no. Cruise in the ocean with a full load at 27-30kts, with WOT at 35.5kts.

Brian

Fishtales

Reaction score
I don't have one, but the twin 150s look good to me (based upon performance data).
Why not check with the factory and see how many they have built in the different configurations? All the pics on the website show the 150s as well. I'm guessing it is fine in that configuration.

The F250 weighs 604lbs and the F150 492lbs. That's the weight of one big guy on the boat.

Tashmoo

Reaction score
Can't answer your questions on twin 150's and power as I have a 275 with an F350 on it which has more than enough power to handle a fully loaded boat in rough water.

What I can tell you is that from my evaluation before I purchased, the twin 200's buy you nothing over twin 150's, the added weight over rides the HP increase.

As for capability, I have had my 275 out 40+ miles off shore multiple times with absolutely no issue. More importantly, how does the boat handle rough water. In six foot seas that I encountered once the boat handled very well, was it fun, no was the boat stable and safe, absolutely. We had a 26 mile run back in 4-6 footers and got the crap beat out of us but never once did anyone on board feel like the boat was not up for the challenge.

If there is a 275 on the market with twin 250's why not add the hard top, Dealer option installed is about $14,000. Be sure to check how the stern sits in the water with a full tank.

Toddwein

Reaction score
I have a 2011 275 with twin 250's. Boat is definitely underpowered with 150's. I bought the boat new and would have been extremely disappointed with the 150's. The boat with Yamaha 250's is great. Fly by wire controls beat mechanical all day. Also command link plus. If you are interested, my boat is for sale. Used it for 2 seasons and love it. Thinking about a Freedom 335. It has basically every option that was available. Let me know.

richlg202

Reaction score
Thank for all the great info... Does anyone have any info on the fuel consumption your seeing when cruising and what the best cruise speed is with the twin 150s .

Also has anyone used the boat for waterspouts ?

Last question... Does the twin 150 have any issue planning off with a full load.
Thanks.
Rich.

sling

Reaction score
I have an older Islander with T150's and used to run it weekly to the canyons 60-70nm offshore. It planes fine with the 150s and most of the time the sea conditions limited my speed, not the engines. You mentioned wakeboarding - that would be a stretch. I'm not sure even with the 250's I'd consider this an ideal rig to pull skiers and wakeboarders with. I'm usually of the mind that more power is better, but I have been satisfied with the performance for what I do.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
richlg202 said:
Thank for all the great info... Does anyone have any info on the fuel consumption your seeing when cruising and what the best cruise speed is with the twin 150s .

Also has anyone used the boat for waterspouts ?

Last question... Does the twin 150 have any issue planning off with a full load.
Thanks.
Rich.

We cruise with a heavy load at 28kts at 1.6-1.7nmpg. That nautical miles per gallon, not MPG. I'd love a bigger boat, but we do 180nm round trips to the Norfolk Canyon (140 running and 40 or more trolling, moving around, etc) and burn 110-120 gallons of fuel.

Sorry, no waterspouts. or watersports.

No problem getting on plane, ever.

We ran the usual "Black SS" 13.75x17" props for a while, but then switched to PowerTech 15.25"x16". Lost about 2kts top speed but much better "bite" on the water in all conditions.

Brian

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
New or to be repowered Islanders and the others on same hull will now get the twin treatment of the new F200 4 cylinder Yamahas, seems to me.
Not likely to see the 6 cylinder V6s, but perhaps as a single - the F300 V6.

Same goes for the 20 foot models and Gulfstream, never see an F150 again on them new or repowers. Maybe even the 22 footers as well - as economic choice over V6 F.

Just maybe the 18 footer gets the F150, see no other use for F150s on gradys, IMHO.

Lets see if Yamaha figured out how to make a reliable balance shaft for its newest in line 4 cylinder, they blew it the first time on the F150 even thought the technology goes back to the 80s on inline 4 cylinder car motors.
Anyone buys the newest F200, get the 6 yr warranty even if you have to buy it.

I read it comes either with electronic controls or mechanicals to retrofit at a cost savings, nice idea !

billyttpd

Reaction score
You always have the option of adding a aftermarket or custome built hardtop to the boat your interested in.

Kai Lover

Reaction score
I have an 05 Islander with 150s. Same hull as yours. I have had the boat in the Fl middle grounds on overnight trips. 96 miles each way plus fishing all day and overnight. I burn 150 gallons and have 50 left when I get back to shore. Boat cruises at 28 @ 4500 RPMs burning 16 to 18 gph.

We dive so we usually have 6 tanks plus 4 fisherman/divers. Ice, full fuel , water, live well full and there is no issues getting on plane. Boat tops at 40 mph. Usually cruise at 28 to 30

I have had my family (5) plus another family of 4 on boat many times with no issue getting on plane and cruising.

I am happy with my 150s. Is it a speed boat? No. But I did not buy it for that... I bought it for the economy and range. Could I pull a wake board? Yes, but the boat isn't made for skiing...master craft has that rig.