28 foot double spreader outriggers on Marlin

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
So I found a deal on a set of double spreader outriggers. Purchased brand new but never installed. They are the Lees, it's an 8 foot holder and 20 foot rigger. The riggers I have now are 20 foot with the wishbone holders. I have wanted to upgrade to spreader bars but have always been unable to justify the cost, but this is a sweet deal. So, 28 foot on a Marlin...what cha think?

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Do you have enough area to mount them? I'm not sure if the attachment points would work. How will they sit when up?

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
All I know right now is its a good deal. I haven't called the guy or anything, maybe I got a little ahead of myself. What holders and set up do you guys have? I know with the wishbones you can't have the spreaders because of the hard top. For some reason I thought the MX8000 was the holder needed but now I'm not sure.

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a set of Lees with a single spreader on my 06 Marlin. I think the lower section is either 6 or 8 feet, and the upper is 16 feet. The only concern I'd have is the added weight and wind resistance of the longer riggger. As long as you can mount the bases easily, I think you'l be fine. If I recall on mine two of the heavier mounts are fitted to the outside of the helm area above the walkaround, the other two mounts are bolted to the hardtop. It took a while to figure mine out when I mounted them, but it was worth it in my opinion.

One catch, IF you go under bridges often the Lee Seniors/MX800 series could be a problem for you.

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks Tuna Man, I believe it can be done but don't want it to look ridiculous just because I found a good deal. 28 foot of outrigger already 6 feet above the water line might look a little funny. Anyone have a double spreader on their Marlin or 33 express? Would like to see what it looks like.
Nick

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have 24 foot Lee Pro series layout on my Marlin. I added a center rigger and now I can pull 7 lines comfortably. I can email you a picture of the center rigger if you are interested.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
We have Taco 15-ft heavy duty outriggers, and a center rigger.

We have been pulling seven lines for years.

We also pull small spreader bars from the short rigger positions.

While I would love to have a Marlin, I wouldn't want 28-ft double spreader outriggers on it.

JMHO.

Brian

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Ok, no 28 foot riggers. I guess the deal will go to someone else. Does anyone have spreaders on their riggers and have the wishbone type lee holder? I hate drilling holes in my boat!
I do currently run two lines and a teaser from my riggers without spreader bars but I can't do this pulling the lures I want all the time. I want the stiffness the spreader would add but was told with the wishbone holder you can't have them.
Nick

Rosstafari

Reaction score
IMO I don't think putting spreader riggers on your boat would look good. I also am pretty sure that they don't make any that will fit in the Lee wishbone. If your looking for a stiffer better quality rigger why don't you look into carbon fiber ones? they make some real nice carbon fiber riggers these days that are made with pulleys built right in pre rigged with double lines. They are light weight and really strong.......just a thought