28 Marlin 225´s Hondas props and generator.

IFS_88

Reaction score
Hello my fellow members, a few months ago I finished rebulding my 1991 28 Marlin literally from tip to toes, everithing is new (except de 2008 twin Honda 225´s with 700 hours most of the hours at trolling speed, I checked with the Honda dealer mechanic and told me that the engines are in excellent shape and should last a long time if they are well mantained and serviced), the outboars have a Apollo Stainles steel props 15 1/4x19, and I am not able to accelerate more than 4500rpm and 27 knots in calm seas (25 in rough seas) I know the boat is heavy, the outboards are good for the boat not underpowered neither a speed machine, it rides fine at a decent speed, at 3500 rpm the boat is doing 18.5-20 knot depending in the weather, the load and fuel, but I feel the performance of the boat is little poor compared to what I read in this site. For the record the engines are just recently major serviced, I change the water pumps, so they are running fine.

I wold like to increase the performance of the boat, by reaching more rpms, speed and better fuel economy, should I change the props????? I think the boat is overproped, what do you think I should do in basis of your exprience.

I would also like to buy a fischer-panda generator does any other member has a 28 Marlin with a generator, where sould I place the generator???? I ask this becuse you know despite being the same lenght as the Marlin 30, the 28 have less space in the place where the 30 has instaled the generator. Does the extra 10 grand ang the extra weight are worth it???

Thank you for your time reading this post, my best wishes and regards to all of you!!!!!!!

P.S. Sorry if I made any gramatical mistake english isnt my native language.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Most O/B's have a WOT of 5500-6000. I would suggest dropping down to 17 pitch props.

Another Distraction

Reaction score
Find the real honda spec for your model and see exactly what wot rpms are. Once you do then you can calculate a prop.

Tons of gen room under the rear cockpit hatch just aft of the aux tank. That's about the only place you have to install it.