282 advice needed for a newbee

gotafish

Reaction score
I made an offer on a 2001 282 Sailfish and the survey will take place next week. It has 2 x 250's with 250-300 hr, very light use. What should I look out for?

sluggoe

Reaction score
wow, so much to say.....

don't know how familiar you are in general with boats (past ownership?), but i would get both an engine and hull survey done to begin with;

if u r completely new to boating, then u should go with the surveyors opinions;

in my experience, most hull surveys only catch major/moderate problems but leave you to assess/find the smaller stuff and what it is worth to you in tems of discount on the price or the ignore factor;

for engine, get a experienced mechanic who is "yamaha-certified" and ask lots of questions;

hull and engine surveyors should go with you on sea trial.....

if you have some experience, then take a tab of paper with you and start jotting down all the defects/issues you find with the boat keeping in mind the age of the boat;

there is a good book out there by an editor of boating magazine (think John Lamy) that goes thru all the steps of used and new boat purchasing....get it and use the techniques.

--sluggoe

gotafish

Reaction score
Thanks, the engine survey is tomorrow, it's being done by a GW dealer. They have serviced this boat in the past and I will have more of the history tomorrow. Since it is a bank repo I can't talk to the previous owner. So far I know it's a one owner boat with very light use and hardly any in the last couple of years.

gotafish

Reaction score
It's done deal. Survey came back great, 120 comp on all 12, no hour meters but dealer estimates 250 since they serviced the boat since new (one owner). All systems functioning, hull in great shape just need some wax and general detailing and will look like new.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Congrats, & welcome to the forum. Great boat. Hope you have many years enjoyment.

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
gotafish
Sounds like you got a great boat.
Send us some pics. if you get a chance. Would love to see it.

bc282

Reaction score
another congratz!
the 282 is a great boat!

there are multiple systems and amenities that as you guessed require maintenance and do wear out.

Here's a list of thing to go over and fully check out so that you can maximize your enjoyment on the water by doing some maint. and upgrades on the hard.
- batteries (check fluid level if lead acid type, specific gravity, voltage and overall appearance (clean off corrosion, clean connections))
- battery charger, shore power, house inverter
- raw water and bait well wash down pumps and hoses
- fresh water (clean aerators, check connections, lube cartridges and repack faucets)
- hot water system (usually tied to the fresh water system)
- likely need to buy a head kit (replace seals, etc about $70)
- check waste/head discharge system that it's working well
- all electrical connections for lights, pumps, electronics, etc.
- anchor windlass, rode, chain, swivels, etc.
- hydraulic steering has good response? check fluid level at helm
- address and investigate any indications of a leak, especially around windows
- since 2s engines, check condition and level of 2s oil tanks (use the good stuff!)
- check trim tabs, if hydraulic (likely bennett) check the fluid level in reservoir and that tabs work and not too sluggish

there's probably a bunch more but that's what come to my mind.
enjoy doing the maintenance and fixes as it's a time you'll have to better get acquainted with the new boat and familarize yourself with the systems.

Lastly, put a lot more hours on the boat than the previous owner. less than 300 hours over 8 years is a real shame.