282 Anchor Recommendation

A&J Outdoors

Reaction score
Website
www.outdoorslivecrew.com
Model
Sailfish
Lost my anchor this past weekend. I do not recall the exact size I had, but it seemed small for the boat. What size/type of anchor would you all recommend? This would be general purpose (soft sand to mud to hard bottom). Thanks in advance.

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
The best generic anchors I used are Bruce type anchors, they hold particularly well on sand and mud and check that the new anchor fit the anchor roller and bow platform to sit well and safe there.
The weight of the anchor depend on the length and weight of the chain and if you need to haul manually.
I would say around 20-25lbs depending on anchor rode and anchor style.

One of the worst anchors I had was the Aluminum Danforth by Fortress, too light for the Venture 34

Chris

Reactions: A&J Outdoors

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Look around to see what other boats in your area are using as sea floor varies from place to place. For most of my anchoring I have used a 22# delta anchor. when we blackfish in rocker areas I switch to a cheaper 22# claw anchor. This is for my current 305. With my previous 265, I used the same #22 delta, but a smaller 14# claw. As your 282 is in between I would probably go 22# either way.

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
Additional question, stainless vs. galvanized?
Galvanized just work as SS ones, but look more ugly.
However the price difference is steep and I would not pay a lot more for a SS one but if look is important to you then go for a SS.

For fishing on rocky structures grapnel anchors with 4 soft pins are less prone to loose.
If you pull hard the flukes bend open and the anchor comes free, once on board you bend them back.
They can built rather easy DIY

Chris

A&J Outdoors

Reaction score
Website
www.outdoorslivecrew.com
Model
Sailfish
First question...do you have a winch or capstan or none of the above?

If you haul by hand, that effects whether you go #22 vs #16.
22 out on the pulpit is a bear to handle

#16.5 claw holds my 265 well. I went back to it from 22

Amazon/Claw anchor
I do have a windlass.

Fixit

Reaction score
Model
Islander
in my mind a 22lb is way inadequate for a 282. but I also spend a lot of nights at anchor and sometimes in 25-30mph winds plus gusts.
im looking at taking off a 22lb delta plow and putting a 12kg(27lbs) Vulcan on my 270 for that reason. but if your just anchoring for the day then a 16.5 or 22 lb would be fine in light winds.. around Vancouver Island BC , the Rocna's are very popular (and work very well, quick setting, great holding)
delta's are great too, they self launch, a bruce/claw is another favourite but don't self launch in most boats. if you have deep pockets a stainless ultra anchor is superb, but 1900CAD$ for a 26
just as important as the anchor is the amount of chain. on the west coast id say have 50 ft of 5/16" G40 chain with 250-300ft of plait (8 strand). to anchor in 50-70ft when needed..... but im unfamiliar with water depths in San Antonio. what kind of anchoring are you going to do??!?

Fixit

Reaction score
Model
Islander
get on you tube and search for "SV Panope anchor test". he does a LOT of real world anchor testing and review. look up whatever anchor your considering

A&J Outdoors

Reaction score
Website
www.outdoorslivecrew.com
Model
Sailfish
in my mind a 22lb is way inadequate for a 282. but I also spend a lot of nights at anchor and sometimes in 25-30mph winds plus gusts.
im looking at taking off a 22lb delta plow and putting a 12kg(27lbs) Vulcan on my 270 for that reason. but if your just anchoring for the day then a 16.5 or 22 lb would be fine in light winds.. around Vancouver Island BC , the Rocna's are very popular (and work very well, quick setting, great holding)
delta's are great too, they self launch, a bruce/claw is another favourite but don't self launch in most boats. if you have deep pockets a stainless ultra anchor is superb, but 1900CAD$ for a 26
just as important as the anchor is the amount of chain. on the west coast id say have 50 ft of 5/16" G40 chain with 250-300ft of plait (8 strand). to anchor in 50-70ft when needed..... but im unfamiliar with water depths in San Antonio. what kind of anchoring are you going to do??!?
Anchor to fish, never overnight. Boat came with 10’ chain and 200’ of line.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I love my Delta, I had a galvy#22 since the boat was new. Was poking around on the warehouse section Amazon and saw one for 1/3 the price of a galvy one. I noticed in the pics it looked to be shiny so I took a shot. It was suppose to be scratched and unboxed.
I got it, yep it was the SS model and no scratches. What a deal. Gave my galvy to a buddy.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I love my Delta, I had a galvy#22 since the boat was new. Was poking around on the warehouse section Amazon and saw one for 1/3 the price of a galvy one. I noticed in the pics it looked to be shiny so I took a shot. It was suppose to be scratched and unboxed.
I got it, yep it was the SS model and no scratches. What a deal. Gave my galvy to a buddy.
Once I ordered a 16# galv claw and they accidentally sent me a brand new $270 SS Lewmar DTX by mistake. Its been in my garage for years cause its too shiny to lose on a wreck.

Fixit

Reaction score
Model
Islander
check out the Rocna fishermen anchors. you can drive over them and the shackle slides up the shank if they're ever caught
. might be the ticket

Gulffisher

Reaction score
I vote galv. Delta for all-around daytime bottom anchoring and I would see the Lewmar anchor selection table/chart for appropriate size. Your chain is about 20' shorter than what I would recommend. You may be able to add chain using a cold-shut or a lap-link, but watch to see how it travels through your windlass (and keep eye out for corrosion). After losing several anchors to deep rocks and wrecks, I now rig mine break-away with a short length of paracord connecting the swivel to the anchor. Unless I snag, I typically get 15-20 anchors without replacing the paracord. I keep a "BIG" fortress aluminum anchor stowed away for ER with its own chain, rope and anchor ball,but I find it doesn't set as well as the Delta.

A&J Outdoors

Reaction score
Website
www.outdoorslivecrew.com
Model
Sailfish
I vote galv. Delta for all-around daytime bottom anchoring and I would see the Lewmar anchor selection table/chart for appropriate size. Your chain is about 20' shorter than what I would recommend. You may be able to add chain using a cold-shut or a lap-link, but watch to see how it travels through your windlass (and keep eye out for corrosion). After losing several anchors to deep rocks and wrecks, I now rig mine break-away with a short length of paracord connecting the swivel to the anchor. Unless I snag, I typically get 15-20 anchors without replacing the paracord. I keep a "BIG" fortress aluminum anchor stowed away for ER with its own chain, rope and anchor ball,but I find it doesn't set as well as the Delta.
Thanks for the input, I did lose the chain too, so I'm planning to get 20' of chain.

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
Thanks for the input, I did lose the chain too, so I'm planning to get 20' of chain.
You should get at least 10 Meters or 35ft of chain, more is better and you have a windlass helping with recovery.
Not so much important on a calm day but can safe lives if you get in trouble thru wind or current, particularly on chain-rope or only rope anchor rodes.

Also, for fishing purposes on rocky bottom or wrecks I prefer a small, cheap collapsable grapnel anchor and only bout 10ft of chain for chafing protection over a good and expensive main anchor what would be expensive to loose.

Chris