282 fuel tanks?

Accuratepete

Was wondering how to run the boat since it has 2 tanks. Do I run 1 motor out each at all times or empty 1 and then the other before fueling up. Where are tanks located for weight distribution.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
tanks should be on centerline. i don't think gw does any hull otherwise. you can check manual for certainty. you probably should play around to see your best running procedure. on my '02 232, i ran both engines on one tank then switched when empty. ran well that way. on the 330, had to switch procedure to one engine on each tank. sounds crazy, but it did have an impact on running attitude. good luck, ron

Fishtales

Couple of ways to play this.
You can run both off one tank and then switch as recommended. If you then fill up the empty tank, you can alternate between tanks and maybe help if you get bad gas as you would not be filling up both at the same time. It does likely mean 2X the fillup trips. I'd do this if I were trailering.
You can run one off each tank (I do this) as it eliminates the gas dock trips and associated wait. I don't think in the end it matters all that much.

tx

Fishtales

You could burn one tank and then switch to the other. To be most effective though, I think you would want to fill them alternatively.
Say both engines are on the fwd tank and you run it down, you switch to the back and fill the forward tank. When the aft tank runs down you fill the aft and switch both to the forward again. The benefit is that if you get bad gas, you have the other tank that may be from a different gas lot and may not be contaminated. To be honest, I find this a PIA as you need to gas up 2X as much. I just leave one on the forward and one on the aft tank (I have never switched them). I draw each tank down in parallel and fill both when I need fuel.
It really is your choice.

eppem

I have a 265 with two tanks - we run off the front tank for the most part and leave the back empty. Why carry all the weight if not needed? Back tank is filled for long offshore runs and every now and then I will put 20 gallons in it just to run fuel thru it. For winter haul we leave the back tank empty and the front full. 10 years going (knock on wood) and no issues.

Good luck!

EPPE

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
I run mine on an alternating basis due tot the size difference of the tanks. Mine has a 70 and a 150 Gallon Tanks. Makes it difficult to run them both down at the same time. Not a big deal but something to think about