282 Helm Chairs

sluggoe

Reaction score
I want to remove the armrests on both helm chairs on my 2002 282 because they are always in the way and snag clothing.

It looks easy enough to remove the 2 bolts that secure the armrest assembly underneath the chair but it appears as though i might need a spacer or something to level the chair once i pull the whole thing off.

Anybody ever done this before and is it as easy as it looks? Any advice would be appreciated.

Sluggoe.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I have not done this, but thought of it many times when I had my 282. I was planning to cut only one of them off each chair to make passage thru the helm easier and leave the other on the chair. I thought that you could remove them both with some disassembly if you wanted to.

Another option was to install the companion seat. I ended up getting the bigger 300 with the companion seat and problem was solved.
It might be worth looking at the companion seal and then try to sell the port chair on ebay or something. This way you won't have to remove them.

CKJR

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I did the same with my helm chairs. I found the access between the chairs easier without the armrests

ayacht

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
CKJR said:
I did the same with my helm chairs. I found the access between the chairs easier without the armrests

Did you remove or cut them off. Have not looked at it but was it as simple as unbolting them?

Marty grady 272

Reaction score
I removed the center arms from both helm chairs by just unbolting them. There was no issue of tilting and it provided better access. I put the removed arms in a cloth bag and am keeping them under the bunk up forward

sluggoe

Reaction score
It appears that on my 282 each chair's armrests are one assembly, so you when you remove two bolts the whole assembly comes off.

Gonna try it this weekend but most "easy projects" tend to be much more difficult than they seem.

thx for the advice.

slugg