282 Sailfish Bilge - drain issue between compartments????

Tinny

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
This is a strange one. I have a 2007 282 Sailfish and have just noticed that a drain hole between compartments that should be there is not? The starboard stringer that runs next to the fresh water tank has what looks to be a hole, but when I stick my finger in it the hole appears to have been plugged by excess gel coat on the other side. From the factory there must have been a small gap because it did drain before - whenever it rained I would get a slow leak around the starboard transom and water would drain through this hole. However, about 2 years ago I finally figured out the source (rub rail issue) and she's dry now - however, the lack of constant flow has probably caused the small opening that was there (can't even feel it with my finger) to plug up with dirt. Now any water that gets in there just sits there.

I though about drilling a small hole through it but because I can't see the other side (water tank close by and who knows how thick that gelcoat is) and as access is awkward I am really scared to do so for fear of making things worse.

It does bug me that water doesn't drain there - probably not a safety issue as more water would quickly bring the level up to where it could flow over the stringer where it is much shorter below the raised battery platform.

Any suggestions? Maybe some type of cleaning product that could open up the very small hole that is now plugged with dried debris?

Attachments

• IMG_8455.jpg
    IMG_8455.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_8454.jpg
    IMG_8454.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_8456.jpg
    IMG_8456.jpg
    359.4 KB · Views: 21

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Is this a limber hole in the stringer, back near the transom? And there should be an identical one on the port side, correct? Is your third picture the outboard side of the stringer? Find the hole on the outboard side of the stringer - maybe something is stuck in the hole. But, yes, there could be a flap of glass that slid off the stringer during layup partially covering the hole.

Reactions: Tinny

Tinny

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Limber hole - just learned a new term - thank you! Yes it is the limber hole on the starboard side that sits right up against the transom. On the port side I can stick my finger through the limber hole. But on this starboard side the hole is almost fully sealed off with glass from the other side - although impossible to see there must be a very small gap in the forward part of where the hole should be - I suspect this is where water drained before but now it is not draining.

Yes - the third picture is the starboard stringer with this plugged limber hole but the picture is taken from the forward section by the latch that opens behind the fold down seat - Just to show how water doesn't drain (I put the water there and it sat like that for half hour).

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
OK, yes, you can go ahead and poke away at that to open it up. If you can get to the outboard side of the hole - use a razor knife around the perimeter of the hole - you should be ream/cut the glass away.

There are LOT'S of boating specific terms! :)