282 Sailfish Canvas and Seats

Pipehunter

Reaction score
I just got pricing from a local source on replacing the canvas enclosure and glass and the seats. I have asked if this is strata or not and have not yet received an answer, but I thought I would check on these prices as they seem high to me:

Materials and labor to make and install your enclosure ………………. $ 3800.
Materials and labor to re-upholster your Bolsters and aft seat...…………. 1900.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm in for $2800 for my new enclosure made by A&J Canvas, the OEM supplier for Grady on my 228 Seafarer, so yes, your 282 Sailfish will take more of everything because of size. $3800 seems fair as long as you're getting StrataGlass or better for the clears. Can't help you on the upholstery as I've not had to do anything to mine.

Where are you located?

Pipehunter

Reaction score
Thanks. Maryland. I think A&J got my phone number mixed up because I spoke to them first but never heard back from them. I think I will call them Monday.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I would definitely reach back out to them. Lee is the owner and she is probably who you'll speak with. Good people, got to meet them in person a couple of years ago. I'm in Kentucky and had no problem getting my new enclosure here.

Make sure you're calling the right A&J Canvas. The one you want is in Vanceboro NC, not the New Jersey one.

Lsquared

Reaction score
Jessh im at 3800 for the bolsters and aft seat.. Pipe! Where are you located.. My guy is in florda and and a board member here.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'm in for $2800 for my new enclosure made by A&J Canvas, the OEM supplier for Grady on my 228 Seafarer, so yes, your 282 Sailfish will take more of everything because of size. $3800 seems fair as long as you're getting StrataGlass or better for the clears. Can't help you on the upholstery as I've not had to do anything to mine.

Where are you located?

Same here. Got the strataglass and ivory stamoid for that price.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I paid 1,300 for Bolsters for my Sailfish 6 years ago form Grady White Dealer

Pipehunter

Reaction score
Thanks gents. I'm gonna get back with A & J. I assume no issues with snaps lining up and such?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks gents. I'm gonna get back with A & J. I assume no issues with snaps lining up and such?

Snaps are sent loose for you to install to match your original locations, you can borrow the tool to install from her I'm pretty sure.

Pipehunter

Reaction score
Ah, I see. Thanks for letting me know. I suppose there are some tricks to getting that started and it takes time. Or perhaps I can just get started off my originals?

A&J quoted me $2800 including delivery. For $1000 I can do the snaps. They are very nice folks.

No joy on finding original bolster or rear seat. That's ok.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Slide new curtains in the track, let hang, mark hole, punch hole, install snap,,,,repeat. Pretty straight forward.

Reactions: Zebulon

Pipehunter

Reaction score
Cool. Sounds like a good Saturday afternoon, followed by cold beverage(s). Thanks.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Full cockpit enclosure, or just helm, and back curtain? Install the full enclosure, zip everything together, let it hang to get the wrinkles out. Start in the middle of the windshield, and line up your panels with your frame. Then the side panels. If you got a stiff material, like Strataglass, waves or wrinkles won't be a problem.
If you got a full cockpit enclosure, then go the the back corners and line up the vertical seams, and put a snap in both corners to make them consistent. Work all panels from the center to the corners, keeping the tension consistent.
If you start in one spot, and try to work around, you will push the slack ahead of you, and you will end up with too much fabric at the end.
You will probably only have the cap and socket side of the snap to install. Do they loan you the tool? You definately want a Pres-N-Snap, or at least a vise grip style. With the punch and anvil type, or the bench mount, you have to remove the panel, or have a very solid surface to work on for each snap.
Best method below.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I used an old leather punch that I had and bought my own Press-N-Snap tool. Nice to have it, I've pulled multiple snaps out of my cushions over the years, takes nothing to put them back in. Used to borrow one, got to be a pain, bought my own.

20200519_194529.jpg

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Had my aft folding seat done over the winter for my express. Just that alone was ~800, give or take. We did it as part of the project to redo all the interior berth cushions.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Keep an eye on Rusty Ron's (seller on eBay)...he frequently sells new...leftovers...etc.... from GW.

Pipehunter

Reaction score
Wife and I went down yesterday to install our new canvas On our 2005 282 Sailfish with no success. We couldn’t get the canvas to slide fully into the tracks. We tried soap but no joy. Any tips?

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The Keder rail, or awning track, comes in several sizes, as does the piping that slides into it. 5/16 of an inch, four, six, 7 mm, etc. if AJ did your canvas, you would expect them to get it right on a Grady, but I would double check and ask what size they used.

Reactions: Zebulon