282 Sailfish Power Options

232 GULF

Reaction score
I'm considering buying a 282 Sailfish and was wondering if anyone has experience with the different power options....200s, 225s, 250s. My feeling is that a 282 is underpowered with 200s. Also, would I have any trouble trailering it in and out of the water twice a year? I own a gulfstream now.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
400HP is enough for that hull, will take it over 40MPH.

How fast do you want to WOT ?

232 GULF

Reaction score
I'd like to be able to go 45-50mph if I had to......cruise of pver 30mph would be fine...

Zebulon

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've got a 272 (same hull) with T/225 OX66's cruise in the low to mid thirties no problem. WOT on recent seatrial with full fuel load topped out at 45 MPH. IMO a great combo.

armauro

Reaction score
I have an 06 with 200s which I bought used- very rare- would rather have 250s but it cruises at 4000 at 30mph which is what my buddys 06 Marlin with 250s does- also WOT is about 44mph

Bob Coco

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That's only 2 MPH slower then my 282 with 225's

armauro said:
I have an 06 with 200s which I bought used- very rare- would rather have 250s but it cruises at 4000 at 30mph which is what my buddys 06 Marlin with 250s does- also WOT is about 44mph

Wow, The 200's are faster then I thought. My 282 w/225's is topped out at 39.6 knots which is about 46 mph. in a calm sea with light wind. That is with all canvas installed and close to full tanks of fuel and water.

I hear the 250's are right around 50 but I'm guessing that's without canvas and less fuel onboard? Not sure, Just a guess. Hell there's loads of 30's running around with 225's and even some 33's too.

As far as trailering it, I bought a trailer for mine to do the same, I hauled it out and trailered it home without any troubles at all. It is illegal in NY though without special permits but I'll take the chance. The ramp is 7 miles from my house. Biggest issue trailering is the height. I was standing in front of the windshield pushing branches over the radar. After I got it home I made the radar removable. I wired in a quick disconnect into the cable and just unbolt the post from the hardtop.

Desperado

Reaction score
My twin 200HPDIs push the boat very well. I have 5 divers onboard, full fuel and 15 scuba tanks. They push the hull just fine, even with that load. Height is my biggest issue while pulling it, I am constamtly watching for low hanging limbs. I pull it 35 miles one way 2-3 times a month during the dive season. Once you get used to it the length and width are not an issue.

CKJR

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
My 98 sailfish (same hull) with 225 4strokes moves the boat nicely. you can cruise in the mid 20knot range (3600-3800 rpm) or bump the throttle to 4200 rpm and be at 30 knots, 1.6 to 1.7 statute miles per gallon, any higher the fuel economy drops off to 1.5 smpg and less, wot 42 knots +-

232 GULF

Reaction score
rpark...let's just call it a sailfish thread :D . That was going to be my next question. I have an '09 gmc sierra 1500 extended cab that I was planning on pulling it in and out twice a year with. If that didn't seem like enough I can borrow a Ford F250....

Desperado

Reaction score
F350 quad cab dually deisel. I have a 250 gas burner but have never hooked it up to try. I tow it with the boat fully loaded (tanks and all) plus the five divers in the truck.

Bob Coco

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have 2 trucks set up for towing. I use my Dodge 2500 diesel 4x4. Which in my opinion is overkill but I bought this truck to tow my race car trailer. I also have an 06 GMC 1500 regular cab 4x4. I've towed my 28' enclosed trailer which is about 10k loaded. Yes it did struggle a bit but that was on hills.

To pull a boat twice a year I think your 1500 is fine. If it is a 4x4 even better. I always put the trucks in low range at the ramp. (Don't ever want to be a funny video on U-Tube) :lol: My 1500 work truck has a tiny 4.8 but does have the 3.73 gears and tracloc rear. which definetly helps. I would just be careful with tongue weight. My setup is actually a little light in the tongue. Next spring I will push the boat another foot forward on the trailer.

You will need a triple axle trailer to put your Sailfish on. I bought a used 2004 Venture bunk trailer for 2,500.00. Keep in mind that it might not be legal to tow a 9'6" beam in your state. In New York it's illegal to tow over 8'6" or 102" wide without special permits. I guess you could check with DMV in your area.

One more thing, Whatever truck/ Trailer combo you use Please make sure the trailer brakes are working. Your truck will not stop it alone. Average 2500 pickup weighs 6,000 lbs. Average Sailfish and trailer w/ fuel and gear could hit 10k plus.

Renovator

Reaction score
I have the 225's on my '05 and it seems to be adequately powered but I believe the 250's would be more economical. I have found the GW posted fuel burn numbers are a bit optimistic. My fuel burn in real conditions is closer to 1.25 nmg. Cruising between 3900-4100 most of the time as seas will allow.
BTW, I pull mine with a F250 diesel, have a triple axle RoadKing and it pulls sweet.

Desperado

Reaction score
If you spend a little extra you can get a tandem with extra heavy duty axles (8 lug). It makes manuevering a lot easier, plus it is rated higher than a standard triple axle. So far it has been worth the extra cost to me.

232 GULF

Reaction score
Interesting point Renovator. Is that because the engines don't have to struggle (for lack of a better word) as much? Also, how is the cabin layout? I've seen pictures but those never do justice. Can you truly do an overnight? and can you actually hang out down there and be comfortable? My gulfstream is pretty cramped inside.

Motivator

Reaction score
282 power options

I have on 06 with 250's and I wouldn't have it any other way.
At 4200 rpm's I am at 34mph burning 1.6-1.8 gph depending on load (curtains up). Prior to painting the bottom and with a light load I have seen 54 mph at 5900-6000rpms, with a clean bottom now I might see 51 mph (all with the curtains up).
Regardless of WOT speed and economy, there is nothing like knowing I have the power to deal with our inlets here in NC. As many on this board know, they can be a bit on the testy side at times.
So when looking at what is the best power option for the hull, keep safety in mind as well.