282 Sailfish Power Options

sluggoe

Reaction score
guys:

have a 282 w/ twin F225's and with all the eisen/canvas up i only get approx 30 mph at 4600rpm.....what gives?

the bottom is painted and last test i did was with approximately 3/4 full tanks in 1-2 footers;

i have not played around with the tabs too much or engine trim (i keep the trim on each engine between 2 and 3 bars on the gauges);

am i missing something?....will the tabs really give me an aditional 5 mph or so?

-slugg.

bc282

Reaction score
2002 282 with F225's and NO bottom paint, full fuel, gear, 3-4 guys > 38-4000 rpm 25-27 knots, WOT 37 knots and trimmed as much as possible.
at cruise the boat is burning 15-18 gal/hr for an economy of 1.7-1.5 nm/gal or as the yami fuel management gauge reads 1.7-2.0 miles/gal which i think is pretty good. I find the yami performance reports for grady pretty close to actual. There is a slight better # for twin F250's on the same hull but it's marginal and not a deal breaker.

For the first year i was pretty conservative on the engine trim, but when you have time with calmer seas and a straight heading, play with the engine trim and slowly raise the engines and watch the rpm, speed, fuel flow, and economy. As the engines go up the rpm's will rise too, if you have cruise at 4000 rpm and begin your trimming, as the engines' rpm rise, bump the throttles back to keep the rpm's at 4000 and continue to play with engine trim to see where the best economy is (do not play with trim tabs too, keep these as neutral as possible). I've found that in calm seas i run at 39-4000 rpm with neutral trim tabs and about 60-70% engine trimmed up (according to gauge) to get best economy of 1.9-2.0 mpg. having the engines trimmed only a couple bars on the gauge is not enough trim IMO and likely a reason some are not seeing better fuel #'s.

The boat is on a tri-axle alum bunk trailer (3-5000# axles) and pulled with a '03 Dodge 2500 crew 4x4 diesel which does the job adequately but i think a chipped diesel would do much better as the rig can't do 70 mph on hi-way.

Renovator

Reaction score
Slugg,
I agree with above, trim motors as much as possible, should be at 5 bars or better as seas allow. Look at wake. Keep bow as light as possible for best economy (not always best ride). You should do much better than 30 mph @ 4600. It's taken me about a year to get a good feel for this particular boat but I am happy now. The helm at times can still be a rough ride though.

Alibi II

Reaction score
282 sailfish w/225's

Hi, We have a 2004 GW sailfish with twin yam. 225's. We keep our boat on its pacific trailer at our home. Towing to our launch point is about 12 miles each way. We tow with a Ford 250 Super Duty with the 6.0 diesel, We faithfully use the two/haul function and the truck does a great job on everything but mileage. We tow about 1300 miles to MX to fish the Sea of Cortez. We try to minimize the amount of fuel and water in the boat on this long trip and get between 8.5 to 9.5 mpg towing at 55 mph in CA and up to 65 in AZ. The truck is really loaded with fishing gear, diving gear, dinghy, 2.5 yam. ob.
Regarding the 225's pushing the boat. They seem to do a great job. With our boat heavily loaded we do 30mph at 4200 rpm and get 1.2 mpg. My wife gets fed up with me constantly complaining about the fuel ecomomy. At trolling speed of 8 mph we get 1.5 mpg. The top speed with the boat heavily loaded is 37 mph at 5000 rpm. When the boat is loaded with 1/2 tank of fuel and no water with two persons on board we get about 46 mph. I run the 3 bladed saltwater series of props that came on the boat and am going to start a thread asking about prop input.
As the height problems. We live in a rural area and the tree overhangs are a real problem. I have designed a deflection shield that redirects the limbs up and over the radar, flir and life raft canister. It is secured with 4 bungee cords and easily removed and stored in the bed of the truck when you reach your launch site. Alibi II

Desperado

Reaction score
Alibi II, I am very interested in a description or picture of your deflector. I managed to hit a limb and crack my radar dome during my last outing. It can be repaired, but I may not be so lucky next time. Thanks!

bc282

Reaction score
Alibi, there might be some issues with your ride for the poor fuel #'s you've posted. Even in poor sea conditions and doing 3300-3500 rpm, about 18-20 knots in a 4+ foot sea with ground sweels the economy is around 1.3-1.5 mpg with full load.

on the return trips up the Alberni canal/inlet (about 40 miles) with 4 guys, gear, full canvas up, 2-3 coolers packed with ice and 2-400+ pounds of fish, fuel, etc. , I still get 1.8-1.9 mpg according to the yami gauge.

I'm running yami SWS stainless 15x19 props.

This coming season i plan to try a pair of Merc Mirage 2 15x19 props as i hear it might give me a bit better #'s.