282 Sailfish seat pedestals

Dawgvet98

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Is there a reason GW uses the semilunar seat bases on the helm seating? Can they be replaced with a round base? Looking at replacing my pedestals and sliders with new Garelicks, but they have a circular base.

Thanks for any advice.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Is the diameter of the replacement base you wish to use, such that ot can still be mounted on center with the helm/wheel?
If so, then you could probably make it work.

Jonah

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi there,

I assume you've already measured to be sure that the full-circle base would not hang over the edge? Otherwise, I don't know why Grady uses the shape base that they do. I suppose it might be worth an email to them, in case they know something about the strength of the fiberglass near the edges, etc.

seasick

Reaction score
The d shaped base allows the post to be offset from center and that gives more room for the seat to clear the sides of the helm. I suppose you could install a round base but you might need to find a narrower seat. If I see it correctly, there is more room to play with on the port seat. It's the starboard seat that has the tight spacing. Just rotate the seat and measure the narrowest clearance it gets to. The measurement is the maximum(in theory) distance that you can shift the pedestal and still be able to rotate the seat. Don't forget to try the measurement with both extremes of the seats forward/backward adjustment. The clearances will be different since that adjustment moves the center or rotation point for the seat

Last edited: