282 Sailfish Spotlight mounting location

fireman_bob

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for ideas for mounting a remote spot on my 282 Sailfish. I would like to mount it under the lip of the roof but the light mfg says not to mount the light upside down. Also I'm reading about glare issues unless the light is shielded from the bow.
Another thought is on the roof either next to the radar or on top of the radar dome. (I have a Raymarine 18" dome). Has anyone mounted a light right to the top of their radar dome? The light is not very heavy (light light), so I don't think it would break the radar cover.
Thank you,
Bob

fishbust

Reaction score
Mount it on hardtop center, right in front. If radar is too close to allow that, mount it to the side right over helm, also at the front of the hardtop.

gradyslip1011_zps67cbad3c.jpg

fireman_bob

Reaction score
Thanks guys. You setups look nice. Elevating the radar is not a preferred option. I'm considering either mounting on top of the dome, or off to one side. I've read some discussions about glare off the bow if the light is too close to the front of the rooftop. Fishbust with that position do you have much glare off the boat with the light on?
Thanks.

The_Chain

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have mine mounted on the hardtop above the helm, to the front. I do get glare and have been on the fence since its old and want to replace. I have thought about this as well but haven't come up with a solution since there is a fair amount of bow glare. I certainly wound not mount on top of my raydome, but if I had gone with a different pedestal for the radar I would have ordered one that had the extra mount and put the light on there.

fishbust

Reaction score
fireman_bob said:
Thanks guys. You setups look nice. Elevating the radar is not a preferred option. I'm considering either mounting on top of the dome, or off to one side. I've read some discussions about glare off the bow if the light is too close to the front of the rooftop. Fishbust with that position do you have much glare off the boat with the light on?
Thanks.

Please do not put it on top of the dome. That would look bad.

I had one on my last boat, rarely used it but when I did (for anchoring), no issues with glare.
With the Grady, I never boat at night and if I did, still wouldn't use it except for maybe while dropping the hook or retrieving it. This light does not even work, remote is shot. The light is coming off the boat next winter when I do my electronics upgrade and installing a radar.

I always preferred the plug in portable spot lights years ago when boating at night. So much easier to use for spotting buoy's and looking around, following anchor rode, etc.

A-Salt-Weapon

Reaction score
Here is where I mounted mine. Works great. I used a piece of 3/16 SS that was about 8" wide by a few feet and I mounted it under my Radar and it hangs over the hard top just enough to be able to clear the radar. I used a piece of the same SS to mount under the hard top to brace the thru bolts from the radar so the fiberglass would not crack under the pressure.

Meanwhile

Reaction score
608465_9.jpg

This is just another option to handle the flare at night. I had a top mounted spot on another boat and the white deck would blind me at night. This is on a boat I'm buying, so I've not had a chance to use it yet. I'm hoping the lip reduces the white deck blinding effect. I like the lip under the light and I don't think it detracts from the lines of the boat.

fireman_bob

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'm going to put it on the roof next to the radar. I'll play around with the front to back positioning at night to see how the deck glare looks before deciding on a final spot.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I did a lot of research on this also a while back and due to most everyone claiming the glare issue from mounting on hardtop, I decided not to do that. I also wanted to find one that would mount upside down which would relieve any issue with flush mounted radar. Putting off to the side will be in my way when crawling up on top and already have other stuff mounted there as well.
I was driving down to the coast and found a boat on side for sale that had a bow mounted light. I really liked this one and will do this when I decide to go with it. I think you could find a way to make a quick mount to be able to remove it or attach it quickly with some starboard and u bolts with wing nuts or some other idea like that.
This is the best pic I could get due to location of boat.

Attachments

• Bow Mount Spotlight.jpg
    Bow Mount Spotlight.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 3,957

fireman_bob

Reaction score
I do like the idea of having it up at the bow like you show. I could wire a connector into the anchor locker hatch so I could remove the unit when not using it. Just need to come up with a way to mount it so it can be removed/installed easily.

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
There are two boats at my club that mounted them like this:

Attachments

• spotlight_crop.jpg
    spotlight_crop.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 3,895