282 Sailfish Steering Issue

vinpaa

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have a 2006 282 Sailfish with twin 225 yamahas. It has the original Seastar steering. When I lock the wheel out in either direction the steering wheel continues to rotate slowly. I am 99.9% sure there is no leak as I am not losing fluid or pressure after this happens. Anyone experience this? I plan on getting a mechanic to take a look, just wanted to see if anyone one here has had this happen. Thanks.

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Have you bled the lines? That kind of slop could mean some air in the system.

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have a 2006 282 Sailfish with twin 225 yamahas. It has the original Seastar steering. When I lock the wheel out in either direction the steering wheel continues to rotate slowly. I am 99.9% sure there is no leak as I am not losing fluid or pressure after this happens. Anyone experience this? I plan on getting a mechanic to take a look, just wanted to see if anyone one here has had this happen. Thanks.
There's a relief valve in there, if you've locked it hard over and try to go harder it will step in so as not to over-pressure the system. Perhaps there's debris preventing proper functioning or it's failed in some way. I'm no expert in this area but i know that they exist and that's where I'd start if I were you. I have the same boat.

Reactions: vinpaa

seasick

Reaction score
Could be bad / dirty check valves. They can be cleaned without removing the helm box assuming you can get to the back of the unit.
Another pain in the neck possible solution is to drain all fluid, refill with clean fluid and rebleed. That may help flush out any particles.
It could also be a bad seal in the steering cylinder that allows fluid to pass under pressure from one side to the other.
You can check for that by turning the wheel to one side ( probably need an extra set of hands and then opening the bleed valve on the opposite side of the cylinder.( the one opposite the side that steering pressure is currently being applied. Little to no fluid should bleed out as you keep turning force on the wheel. If it bleeds when you force the wheel, then fluid is leaking past the internal piston.

Since the issue happens in both directions and assuming when it started it was in both directions, I would lean more towards the cylinder internal leak possibility

vinpaa

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Could be bad / dirty check valves. They can be cleaned without removing the helm box assuming you can get to the back of the unit.
Another pain in the neck possible solution is to drain all fluid, refill with clean fluid and rebleed. That may help flush out any particles.
It could also be a bad seal in the steering cylinder that allows fluid to pass under pressure from one side to the other.
You can check for that by turning the wheel to one side ( probably need an extra set of hands and then opening the bleed valve on the opposite side of the cylinder.( the one opposite the side that steering pressure is currently being applied. Little to no fluid should bleed out as you keep turning force on the wheel. If it bleeds when you force the wheel, then fluid is leaking past the internal piston.

Since the issue happens in both directions and assuming when it started it was in both directions, I would lean more towards the cylinder internal leak possibility
I was thinking it could be some type of valve, both of your suggestions make sense. If i remember correctly it is worse in one direction over the other, would that make you think check valve type issue over steering cylinder? I am still waiting to hear back from a mechanic, but in the mean time would love to continue to troubleshoot.

Thanks all!