282 Sailfish vs. 232 Gulfstream

wshackne

Reaction score
Hey guys! I have a 2006 232 Gulfstream with twin F150s that we love. We've put about 375 hours on it and it has been an awesome boat. My buddy has a 2002 282 Sailfish with F225s on it that is too big for his dock. He has proposed a trade. Our slip is plenty big so we are considering it. Both boats have about the same hours and are rigged really similar to one another.

So, here is where I am looking to tap into the knowledge of GreatGrady! What are the pro's and con's of the move? Here is my list:

Pros of the 282:
1) better ride in rough seas (aka I can make the steam more often)
2) more fishing room in cockpit
3) enclosed head
4) fridge
5) more sleeping room (we have 3 young boys)

Cons of the 282:
1) older boat=more maintenance money spent
2) harder to tow (we trailer it a couple hundred miles once or twice a year to fish)
3) harder to maneuver in close quarters (not a big deal for me, but my wife struggles with the 232)

One specific question to 282 owners. Will a Tahoe pull it? We pull our 232 with it and it does alright.

I REALLY appreciate whatever feedback you have. I just want to go into this deal with my eyes wide open. I love the boat we have now and don't want to get into a mess! Thanks all!

Spence

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Well Spence, I have an '02 282, and I have to tell you that the boat handles beautifully, close-quarters included. I don't trailer more than a couple blocks to the ramp for Springtime launch and winter haulout, so I can't help you there. But another forum member here, Kenny, also has an '02 Sailfish, and he does trailer her quite a bit. Maybe he'll jump in here with a comment or two.

I really don't see you spending any more on maintenance between your 232 and the 282, axcept for possibly shrink-wrap and maybe slip-fees, if they charge by the foot. Otherwise, there's not much more to do on the Sailfish than you have now. But you'll spend more on fuel, since you will be making more trips offshore :wink:

Good luck in your decision.

gw204

Reaction score
No way a Tahoe is going to safely pull a 282. I lugged Capt. Bill's boat about 150 miles with my 3/4 ton Dodge 4x4 (HEMI, not diesel) and I needed every bit of that truck to get the job done. I have pulled my '93 252 with my wife's 5.3 Suburban and it did pretty well...but that was with no gas in the boat and no motors on the bracket...

Desperado

Reaction score
I would say a 3/4 ton for a Sailfish at minimum and would HIGHLY recommend going with a deisel. I tow my 272 (same hull as 282) with a 1 ton deisel and you know the boat is back there.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Looks like the towing issue may be the deal breaker.

Maintenance issue between the years doesn't matter much to think of, more fuel, better ride in seas, cabin difference like night and day if you overnight, more cost to dock by the foot.

wshackne

Reaction score
Wow...great information. I own my slip, so dock fees aren't an issue. A good friend has a 3/4 ton truck with a diesel, so I can use it to pull it from time to time. We have been looking at a 3/4 ton suburban with the 6.0L Vortec motor. Is it hopeless to think that this truck would pull this boat? Trailering is not really that much a deal breaker. It is so much of a pain to pull the boat to the Outer Banks as it is that we have just able settled on driving out and chartering anyway!

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The ride is much better, handling is better although I am comparing a Gulfstream with a single F225. Overall the Sailfish is a great boat but I would think twice about trailering it.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
i think you laid out the facts. you need to assess each one and come to a conclusion based on the weights of your answers.

only thing i would question is the q/c maneuvering. the 282 should be heavier so it should give you a little better hand in it. it's not the same comparison, but my 330 is way easier to handle than my 232 (twin f200's) was (even without the thruster) since it sits in the water more. ron

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Any more than a couple block is too much for the Tahoe. The diesel or the 3/4 Sub will handle the boat but as stated the Sub will be thirsty. Aside from the extra weight there shouldn't be much more issue towing since both boats are over 8 1/2 feet wide. With 3 young boys, someone is sleeping in a tent on the deck. The aft berth is tight for an adult but OK for 1 kid. In close quarters the Sailfish may be a little better since there is similar wind area but more weight. If your 232 has a bracket there isnt' that much difference in size (basically the same width), is he sure the 232 is small enough to fit?