282 Sailfish weight

Odie1

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hello,

I am considering purchasing a Grady White 282 Sailfish in the future and had a couple questions.
I was trying to find the dry weight. (No fuel or engines). J.D. power and a few others says 5800lbs while many other sites say about 6700. Bit confusing.
So hoping someone with a sailfish 282 could give me an accurate weight.
I may tow 2 hours from Erie, PA to Olcott , NY which is quite flat and I have F350 6.8L rated at 12,500 tow capacity so shouldn't be an issue.
Also, how tall would the boat be on a trailer? I had read 13 ft 6 inches once which would require careful route planning if accurate.

Any help/advice appreciated.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Go to GW's site and download the owner's manual for it. That will have lots of specs in there. The weight listed will likely be "dry weight"... which means boat only - no engines, gas, options, etc. Add those on top of the dry weight. Then add the weight of the trailer - different trailers can weigh different amounts - sometimes by more than 500lbs.

Height is dependent of the trailer - and again, there are differences from one trailer to another. Roughly speaking, add 2' to the hull draft and bridge clearance measurements.

For height... don't forget to add anything that is on top of the hardtop that you can't remove/lay down.

BUT... you really don't need to bother with weights - you'll be just fine with that truck.

Odie1

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks for the info Dennis. I didn't realize older models were on their site but is under Archives if anyone else needs it.
Boat is 6781lbs. But you are correct. Even with trailer, fuel, engines etc I will be under 12,500 lbs.
The bridge clearance is 9 ft 9 in and hull draft is 18 inches. So that is 11 ft 3 inches then add 2 ft so 13.25 approx depending on trailer. Sound right?
Seems close to the 13ft 6in I had read. I'd have to be sure no low over passes etc for sure.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Yes, that looks like you're in the ballpark for the height.

Best thing to do - so you know FOR SURE - is to physically measure the height when you get to it.

Beyond A Wake

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
Add to it radar and other stuff on top....... I believe 15ft is normal limit on highways without extra permit, so no problem there eeither.

H

Odie1

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Add to it radar and other stuff on top....... I believe 15ft is normal limit on highways without extra permit, so no problem there eeither.

H
Yes def have to measure it. New York I think is 13 6 but I will need permit due to the width anyways.
Thanks.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
13' 6" is what you will have on the interstate highways. Overpasses are usually more but this is safe. On other roads - State and local if you stick to the truck routes 13' 6" should be fine. I helped a friend ship a boat back from the Great Lakes area - hight was 13' but wide load - it was a nightmare thru PA and MD. Permits, bridge heights, daytime travel restrictions.

Check your beam - 8' 6" is universal but you are a little wider. Depends on the State.

There are trucking services that do route planning. Maybe you can get some advice on your planned route.

You should be fine with the 350 for towing.

What is a wide load in New York?
Oversize Load Limits in New York
Length: 65 feet. Weight: 80,000 lbs GVW. Width: 8'6 feet. Height: 13' 6 feet.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Not sure if I missed it but what year is your boat? A 2004 GW 282 Sailfish says it has a dry weight of 5,800 lbs per the brochure but then in 2006 it looks like they bumped the weight up to the 6,781 lb number. Your beam is a 9'6" beam, at least that's what the 2004 model year is, which will make towing the boat a bit more difficult. I know that some guys mention towing their 232 Gulfstream's with a 9'3" beam means that you're "supposed to" get a wide load permit for it, though I'm not sure how accurate that is or which laws apply to which states. The bridge clearance says 9'9" tall for a hardtop, though all trailers are going to be slightly different to where I'd have a buddy get a tape measure, hold it at the ground and then you stand up at the highest point and see what your maximum height is. As mentioned, trailers, hardtops, aftermarket items like radar domes and so on have way too many variables and make it near impossible to be 100% accurate without measuring it on your own.

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
Not sure if I missed it but what year is your boat? A 2004 GW 282 Sailfish says it has a dry weight of 5,800 lbs per the brochure but then in 2006 it looks like they bumped the weight up to the 6,781 lb number.
a handful of the boats got a 1000 lb increase in weight with no known design change (other than minor changes to the console layout etc, but nothing that would account for a 17% weight increase). i wonder if they changed more in the hull the year they extended the hull running surface and didnt re-publish the weight right away.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
a handful of the boats got a 1000 lb increase in weight with no known design change (other than minor changes to the console layout etc, but nothing that would account for a 17% weight increase). i wonder if they changed more in the hull the year they extended the hull running surface and didnt re-publish the weight right away.
I’m assuming it must’ve been more than a handful, that’s what she said, because I believe it was 2-3 years of boats that had the supposed additional weight gain to them. In another thread we were talking about this with the 2005 GW 270 Islander, which also supposedly had an increase in weight that year to then for some reason stop being produced the following year? Could be a typo, though maybe they did change up a few things? Still, it’s rather difficult to imagine it increased the weight by 1k lbs. I’m just going off of what the archived brochures say.