282 Sailfish

NC Bill

Reaction score
Let me start by introducing myself. I am Bill from Lake Waccamaw, NC. Have never owneed a Grady White but am thinking about joining the owners club. Out fishing last weekend and got pretty beat up, Admiral says we need a bigger boat! :dance

I am looking at a couple of 2001 282 sailfish tomorrow. Is there anything in particular i should be looking for. Like the layout from the photos but have not been on one.

Both boats have 200 HPDI's. What kind of fuel burn can I expect? How about oil will they use? Have not had injected oil, only fuel mix.

Thanks for the help
Bill

Motivator

Reaction score
Bill,
I have an 06 with F250's, my personal observation would be that those boats are underpowered. What is the price point you are trying to stay at?

Cocoliso VI

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Bill the 282 Sailfish is a great boat. It might be marginal with the 200's definetly better with 225's or 250's but I don't think it will be a dog either. The only complaint I have with mine is the narrow pass between the helm seats but that is minor. How many hrs on the boats ur looking at. I don't beleive the hpdi's are gas hogs but that 2 stroke oil is expensive, IMO the four strokes are cheaper to run. Shop around there are some good buys out there if ur not in a hurry. Also don't overlook the 30 Marlin it's more money but for a lot of boat.

Fishtales

Reaction score
That is a pretty good deal there. Prob could be had right around $50K.
There are a lot of posts here on the boat. It is a very stable platform and you could have the companion seat installed to address the helm passage problem - the captain chairs are a little tight.

dmcneane

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a 2001 282 Sailfish powered with twin 200 HPDI's. Great boat with solid engines. I bought it from a dealer in Maine 3 years ago. I run the boat at cruise around 3800rpm and I get around 1.5mpg. We do all our boating in Nantucket Sound on Cape Cod and it handles the "chop" very well out there. Works great for us for now but someday I will be looking to get into a 33.

NC Bill

Reaction score
Spent a couple of hours crawling aroung the boat. The boat is in pretty good condition. Had a L shaped seat next to the helm, which allowed easy access to the cabin. Really like the layout, it even had heat and air. I had not been on a 282 before, only the 272. The amount of room is amazing. We could have a dance in the cockpit. Of course I am coming from a 22' center console.

Think I would like the 4 Stroke engines if nothing else just the amount of noise while they are running.

Need a couple of days cleaning up our boat so we can get it on the market. Admiral says no new boat until the old one is gone. This should give me some time to do some shopping around.

ayacht

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
NC Bill

I just bought a 2006 282 with twin F225 and have to say it is a great boat. The ride so far has been great and I love the engines. They are quiet and no smoke. I agree with the helm seat pass through with captain chairs. I may want to switch to the L shape layout you saw. Not sure if you can get one in your price range but I would say worth the extra $ to get four strokes. First trip we did was a 142 nm and with only used just over a 1/4 tank. Could not believe how good it was on fuel.

Good luck. You will love the 282 take one for a ride.

Desperado

Reaction score
I have a 272 with HPDIs and am happy with it. It gets better fuel burn than a friends 282 with 225s, plus I am quicker out of the hole. If you troll a lot the four strokes are a better engine fuel and noise wise. Never have been able to compare it to one with 250s. Check posts from Tanami (?) he repowered an Islander from HPDIs to 225s. I would go with the boat that has the lower hours and good service records.

Enjoy!