282 useable fuel

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I'm just wondering if anyone knows what the true useable fuel amount is for the 2001 282. It's the year with two tanks 150/70

seasick

Reaction score
It depends on the height of your pickup off the tank floor and the angle of the tank and that varies based on trim and weight distribution on the boat. If you move all the way aft, you will have more fuel to burn before you run out but it's hard that way to steer:)
If you really want to find out, it is doable in an inexact way with two tanks by running on one tank until you run out of gas. Switch to the other tank and then go fill up the first tank. When the tank is full that is the amount of gas that you can suck up. Repeat for the other tank.
Really though, you should never plan on using more than 90% of a tank and even that is pushing it.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
It depends on the height of your pickup off the tank floor and the angle of the tank and that varies based on trim and weight distribution on the boat. If you move all the way aft, you will have more fuel to burn before you run out but it's hard that way to steer:)
If you really want to find out, it is doable in an inexact way with two tanks by running on one tank until you run out of gas. Switch to the other tank and then go fill up the first tank. When the tank is full that is the amount of gas that you can suck up. Repeat for the other tank.
Really though, you should never plan on using more than 90% of a tank and even that is pushing it.
Agree - 1/3 going out 1/3 coming back and 1/3 reserve at a minimum. Tides, wind, wake all will affect actual gas burn

Reactions: mleads310

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Seasick that's a great idea actually. Forgot having two tanks I can measure each one individually without getting stranded.

I do use the 1/3 rule when going to the tuna grounds, but I always wondered what amount of useable gas I actually am basing my 1/3 rule off of if that makes sense? Was hoping someone with the same boat already did the hard work of running each tank to it's unusable point.

Thanks for all the replies and ideas.

Reactions: PointedRose

doug228

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If you do run each tank empty, be prepared to change fuel filters. Often when you skim the bottom of the tank you get all the junk out.

If I had two tanks I would have done it.

Reactions: mleads310