282 Windlass

capeguy

Reaction score
For the second straight year, my windlass is frozen after the shrink wrap came off. Last year we were able to get it working, but it is time to replace it. Would love to get your thoughts? I have a 2006 282. Any suggestions?

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I think I would look at the Lewmar 1000 Free Fall model for that boat. I have the 700FF and love it and no problems so far. Installed last year.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
ROBERTH said:
I think I would look at the Lewmar 1000 Free Fall model for that boat. I have the 700FF and love it and no problems so far. Installed last year.

I also installed a 700FF last year. Works great. Should be plenty for your 282.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Yes, confirmed 700FF should be sufficient. Lewmar site says it is the model for up to 31ft boats.

capeguy

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Quick question, the current windlass is horizontal (?) meaning the "wheel" part that spins lays flat. The 700 FF is "vertical" in that the spinning wheel is upright. Not sure I have the terminology correct. Are the two interchangeable or do I need to get the same kind??

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The horizontal and vertical refer to the motor. So your current windlass is a vertical. No, they are not interchangeable without deck modification since the holes are a different size and in a different location.

Are you sure it can't be torn apart and either cleaned or rebuilt? It's not that old. If it was me, I would at least investigate that possibility completely, before plopping down the money for new one.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Didn't think of the vertical style. They are nice as have low profile. Would pull your current one and look into like Dennis says. I do know that these require maintenance yearly which I have not done yet. Something I think about greasing the gypsy or some parts of it. Will check into that during this next winter layover.