285 Freedom 2020 - Bow pass-thru door won't stay closed

Rich I

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
I have a 285 Freedom 2020 and I've found that the bow pass-thru door will fly open when running in even small chop seas. Grady sent me a new latch but I am experiencing the same issue. I made sure the latch is fully closed. Anyone see this solve it?

Thank you

NCFreedom

Reaction score
I had a similar problem with my head compartment door when I am in a moderate chop. Just flies open multiple times. I discovered that the catch for the latch was sticking out to far, and it had decent loose movement when it was latched closed. I took the catch off, recessed the catch a little deeper into the fiberglass with some mild grinding, then remounted the catch. The door is tighter with much less loose movement when the door is closed now, and it does not fly open when in moderate chop. I have had to adjust/re-engineer all three latching compartment doors on my boat, because they were all loose from the factory. Something I did not expect to have to do with a Grady. All my doors are tight now and do not rattle or move when closed. Do you have any loose play when it is shut, or is it tight when it is latched?

Rich I

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
Thank you for your insight. I do not have any loose play when the latch is closed, it seems to be snug. In fact, when it is latched, I pull on the top corner of the door pretty hard and it stays shut. A big reason I bought the Freedom is so the front can be fully closed off from the elements...having to keep the pass thru door open while running in the ocean is not going to work. I hope to find that this is NOT a common problem which gives me confidence that GW can diagnose and fix it. I have reached out to my local deal again and may call Grady White as well. My preference is for GW/dealer to resolve it given still under 1 year warranty.

If anyone else has seen this issue, please let me know if/how it was resolved.

Thanks,
Rich

Fishtales

Reaction score
keep working it thru the dealer and GW. you want this fixed and before the warranty expires.

Rich I

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
Ok, thanks. I thought about adding a latch but you really want to be able to operate it from the bow and the helm.

mr_mbuna

Reaction score
It should stay closed - it does on my 2011 275 - keep demanding your dealer fix it.