290 Chesapeake

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Is it just me or does it seem like there is very little information or feedback available on the Chesapeake? I am curious how the model is selling and what owners think of it. Do not think I have seen any posts here with questions or comments on the boat since it was introduced. Most of my boating is inland but when I am on the coast I do not think I have ever seen one on the water. Not that I am interested in buying, but a search of Yachtworld only had 2 boats available, 1 used and 1 new.

JiminGA

Reaction score
Hey Bob,

I've wondered the same thing. Remember the ATL boat show had one last year - it was really sweet! I'd take a look at one myself (if I ever had the $$$). I love the lines of the boat.

The last conversation I had with GW customer service, they sounded like the large boats were selling pretty well and also the smaller boats (like the 19' and 22'ft DCs. The sense I got from them was that the "middle"sizes weren't really moving near as much as the upper and lower extremes in the GW lineup.

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
My own opinion is that the Chesapeake is too close to the Marlin or the 305 Express to differentiate itself. I personally think that GW would have been better to adapt the Sailfish to offer a generator option or come up with a 27' design at a lower price point. It's too big a step up in $ from the Journey and not far enough back in $ from the Marlin. It just doesn't fit to me.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
When I saw this subject posted, I thought it was finally the first Chesapeake owner coming here at GG.

Maybe next time

Been three yrs now.

Grady has to discontinue the Marlin model, then it will sell.

Meanwhile until then, cranking back up the Sailfish model into production will generate some (much desired I bet) revenue not to mention local jobs in Greenville.

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I really think they should retool the Islander and get back to a trailerable boat with a cabin. Especially with the larger engines now available for single engine setups.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I miss the Islander.

Been two years a guy in the marina near me has one, I just realized it was not a Sailfish, noticing the galley one day when the cabin door was open, I said that's not a Sailfish galley.

Looks identical from the stern as Sailfish. Has twin F225s too.

Basically, it's a trailerable Sailfish. The largest trailerable Grady ever sold.

Yep, I miss the Islander.

Now it's a bowrider. At least the hull is still in production.

no problem

Reaction score
A friend of mine is a salesman, at a July 4th picnic he said he has sold just one. :( we didn't really discuss why.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Grady's intent (it seems to me) was to discontinue the Sailfish and Marlin and replace both with the Cheasapeake.
The Sailfish was discontinued as I predicted, just waiting on the Marlin to go.

Then if someone wants a Grady bigger than a Gulfstream, they have to leap past the former Sailfish price point. That doesn't seem to be working out as planned. The leftover production units of the Sailfish available at a few dealers has been gobbled up, more so than the new model.

The way the economy turned out, (who could predict that?), I don't expect to see the Chesapeake in the next catalog. Don't recall even seeing teh boat at the NY Show this year.

Then when things come back around, the plan continues and good bye Marlin.

The Sailfish, not the Marlin (which from day 1 was nothing more than a scaled up original Sailfish with added eurotransom), and 20 footer Overnighter, the only two models in entire line-up as the foundation to Grady's entire past success in product design, and perhaps the key to remaining "afloat" in the future.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
ocnslr said:
Yup, the Islander sure is a sweet boat... :D

Brian

A little biased are we?

The problem with the Chesapeke is those who can afford it will want the Marlin/300 instead.

Bring back the Sailfish with a little more deadrise and a place for a portable generator to sit. Since GW is in bed with Yamaha why not use one of their generators (they look like a Honda copy). With the new inverter generators, you don't need the big space a genset occupies, especially with the loads you would have.

It would be tough to have a 25' and a 27' both with the 8.5' beam and sell both of them. Pick one and run with it. How about loosing the eurotransom on a 270 and notching the transom like the 265? A 25' boat with the same room as the 270.

Gary M

Reaction score
I had always heard that the Marlin was their best seller.

I had a 252 Sailfish which was really a 27, then they made it a 282 and now a 290........right on top of the 300 Marlin and the 305...Say what? :shock:

I'd LOVE it if they split the difference of the 330 and the 360 and make a bigger Marlin and call it the 346 Swordfish. Twin 350s, 350 in gas, 50 in water, genset, 11-6 on the beam, everything a bit bigger down below, starboard helm, etc.........

Otherwise I may have to go to the new Pursuit OS 345 in a few years...... GORGEOUS boat!

2.jpg

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I agree with most of the 290 comments. The intention was to address some long term needs for the Sailfish but the form wound up close to the 30x hull. The factory folks told me that the Marlin is still more boat which is especially evident in the cockpit.

I believe the 208 is the best seller but lately the DCs have been very popular. The 300 outsells the 305 so I don't believe it will go away. At least that is what they assure me every year. :lol:

I agree the new Pursuits are very nice. The 315 and 345 are gorgeous. There are many features I much prefer on the GWs but I have also continued to lobby GW for some of the Pursuit touches (finished bilge, better bilge access, slick underside of hardtop, nicer cabins, more SS for cupholders, towrails, etc).

In this economy everything is a gamble. We will say what GW does next in terms of new or changed models.

North River Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

I saw a 290 last time I was at my dealer it was there last summer I have not been there for a while so I don"t know if it sold. Pretty nice and my dealer said they have not sold many at all.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Mega..How long do think Grady will keep it on the market if it doesn't sell well enough for their expectations?