2kw of 4kw radar? for 228 Seafarer

ADB

Reaction score
Looking to add Radar to my Seafarer. Already have Furuno Nanvnet2 plotter and sounder to adding Radar should be pretty straight forward. Only decision is whether I go with 2kw or 4kw. About a $700 difference in price.

Boat is based in Boston. I have taken it to Martha's Vineyard and Provincetown. Dont expect to go much farther than that. Unless I get Tuna bug.

I would appreciate any advice.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Unless you run offshore a bit or you run in the fog or at night, the 2kW will be just fine. Since your mount will not be super high, a 4kW will give you better resolution but may not take full adavantage of the added range. The 2kW will provide you plenty of range for your journeys and is good enough if you do venture off to the bluefin grounds from time to time. Unless you operate in reduced visability or in heavy shipping lanes, I'd save your $700 and use it elsewhere. I am one who always likes to upgrade for the few extra dollars, but for your use it does not seem necessary.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
radome

gradyfish is absolutely correct. 2kw is PLENTY for your boat.
(Have you seen the size of a 4 kw?)

ADB

Reaction score
Thanks.

Really appreciate the info and advice not to spend extra for 4kw

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My 2 cents.

o a 2k is better then no radar
o a 4K is better then a 2K
o an open array is better then a radome
o 6K and 12K are evern better

If you want to see birds a 4K array is real the entry. Some claim you need 6K or 12K but I can mark flocks on my 4K. The point is more is better and how much do you want to spend. Also consider your exposure to tstorms and fog. It all comes down to needs and cost.

Personally, I'd opt for double the power for $700. An array is likely two large for a 228 anyhow.

BTW: I saw a pic of a Marlin with a 6' Furuno the other day. It looked HUGE. I believe my next boat will go to a 6K but use the 4' array.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Seeing other boats and large objects (I'm not sure about channel marker poles), the 2K will work. If you want better definition, cough up the dough.

Gary M

Reaction score
megabytes said:
o a 2k is better then no radar
o a 4K is better then a 2K
o an open array is better then a radome
o 6K and 12K are evern better

If you want to see birds a 4K array is real the entry. Some claim you need 6K or 12K but I can mark flocks on my 4K. The point is more is better and how much do you want to spend. Also consider your exposure to tstorms and fog. It all comes down to needs and cost.

Personally, I'd opt for double the power for $700. An array is likely two large for a 228 anyhow.

BTW: I saw a pic of a Marlin with a 6' Furuno the other day. It looked HUGE. I believe my next boat will go to a 6K but use the 4' array.

I had a 4kw with a radome and with a flock of hundreds of birds in front of us, the radar had a hard time showing the birds. Go with an open array antenna if you want to spot birds with at least 4KW. If birds are not important, go with a 4kw with a radome.

A Marlin with a 6 foot array???????? Haha! Did it look like a helicopter?

I have a NavNet, 6KW with a 4 foot array antenna and love it!

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yeah, Gary it looked REALLY big on that boat. Out of place IMHO. Mega 3 will move up to the 6KW Navnet but that is a LONG way off in this economy.

Quite honestly, I feel very fortunate to be in a position to own a fine boat in these times. :D

Lucky Stars

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have the 4' on mine and it looks fine up there.
At the time I installed it I should have gone with the 6'
When you're outfitting a $200,000 rig with $10,000 of stuff what difference does $300 make?
With the 6KW and 4' array I can find 2 or 3 birds 3 miles away

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
LS: Can the hardtop hold a 6'? I have seen a pic of one but it is right much heavier then the 4' and I wonder if GW approves of the extra weight. They have told several owners a liferaft was too heavy for mounting on the hardtop.

Of course a 12kw radar would be way cool. :lol:

Lucky Stars

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The array only weighs about 8-10# the 6' maybe 10-12#
The 6' will go on the 6KW scanner.
The 12KW I think just runs on a higher voltage. I don't think there is a weight differance.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I didn't realize the 6kw could use either a 4' or 6' array. I assum the 6' would have better target separation given the reduced beamwidth.

ADB

Reaction score
anyone have a good installer in the Boston area +/- 50 miles

Called a few places and only found one that seems really familiar with Furuno electronics. They seem very expensive

Lucky Stars

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Re: anyone have a good installer in the Boston area +/- 50 m

ADB said:
Called a few places and only found one that seems really familiar with Furuno electronics. They seem very expensive

UMMM, this is not news.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
2kw v. 4kw

But you announcing that you spent $200K is news?
He made a comment, go easy fella, we're among friends.
BTW, ADB, to get back on subject, the 2kw is plenty for your 22'

Lucky Stars

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Plymouth, It wasn't intended to be mean at all nor did I want to sound as though I was bragging about $200K
It just seems funny to me how so many people will buy a Lexus and worry about the price of the floor mats.
Same way I've heard people complain about a several thousand dollar all in one system's sounder and hear how they have a transom mount ducer.
I guess it's all relative.

ADB yes Furuno is expensive, they are commercial quality and there are many others out there that will do what you need for less.
try http://www.bethel-marine.com/Products_Furuno.htm

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
2kw

I agree. Penny wise, pound foolish. And you are right, the Furuno are quality Commercial grade unit.
I found that I mostly sold Raymarine to recreational boaters and Furuno to my Commercial guys.
I would recommend an E80 w/ 2kw Raydome for a Seafarer. They do not make the C-70 anymore which is more of the head unit size you want but it doesn't take radar.
I'm sorry, Lucky Stars- I don't want to come across as a jerk-(I think I'm the nicest person I know!) I thank my "lucky stars" everyday!

ADB

Reaction score
Did not want a debate - just some references for installers

Anyone who owns a grady with or without furuno electronics is already well into the realm of "expensive" This site was very helpful in when I was negotiating price of the boat. Just wanted to get name of a reliable and fairly priced electronics installer.