2nd year boater looking to upgrade to bigger boat with ?????

tjenkins

Reaction score
Last year was by first year boating and I loved it. Have a 16 ft dual console smokercraft with a 50 hp primarily a fisherman.
So far my favorie fishing spot is mouth of detroit river and NW Lake Erie. Would like to fish Lake St Clair next year too. With 2 people in boat, including myself, it is ok, with 3 WAY tooo small boat w/motor about 1200 pounds with me and 2 others pushing 2000 and won't get out of its own way. When the wind is out of the East I have to stay home. My little boat too little.

I would like to get bigger boat and be able to feel safer in the water and venture further off shore. Head is a must, porta potty OK?
I was at b... p.. s.... and saw a 2007 Mako 215 express with a t-top and a 225hp Mercury. Fell in love with it. No way can afford it. $46k. Maybe can afford half that much. I like that size boat for three reasons, trailerability, economy?, and i especially like the layout with the jump seats and the rear seat. I think I like the G models. Gradys have that layout on some models. I do not like the open transom design though.

This boat is three times heavier,holds five times as much fuel, and four times more powerful than my current boat.

My questions are,
1. is the size going to be a hinderance from what I am used to? ie launching; towing; storage...
2. Cost of operation.
3. how will it handle in the waves? very important
4. what older Gradys are similar in design?
5. was also considering Grady White but have to go ten years older to be the same price as Mako.

Thanks for reading. Looking forward to hearing from you all.
Tom in MI

tjenkins

Reaction score
I like the boat and it is in my price range and size.
Really looking for a walkaround 1st choice dual console 2nd choice
Thanks both of you

Gross Profit

Reaction score
there should be plenty of Seafarers around in your price range, probably not so many Tourney 22s but there are some. Keep looking, they're out there for sure.

striped bass

Reaction score
1990 to mid '90s Gulfstreams are within striking distance of your price range. A great fishing machine with a head! 2000 Tournament 225 is also a great fishing boat and affordable. As previously mentioned many Seafarers are available. My suggestion is buy the newest and biggest model of those mentioned here and above you can afford. Saves you time and money down the road. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I own a Gulfstream and have owned a Seafarer..Both will do what you want and more, weather permitting, which is always the case.

Gross Profit..

I don't think I've ever seen as clean and great-looking used Grady as yours. You are an inspiration to me to step it up with mine, and my past Seafarer and current Gulfstream look great. Not as good as yours, though..

SMELIKFIS

Reaction score
I have a 03 265 Express with T-225 4 strokes w/trailer I am putting on the market. I live on Lk St Clair.
Boat is great for Lk St Clair or Erie.
Boat has been hoist kept and very well maintained.

I up graded to this boat from a 225 Seafarer.
It will be priced above your target, but you will
save your self the upgrade.

The 265 Express doesn't cost much more to run and is worth every penny.

If intrested let me know.
Randy[/img]

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I presume the 2007 Mako is brand spanking new (?), with full new motor warranty (?).

Offer them $29K.

Is Mako still in business?

howard werner

Reaction score
I am looking for a similar set up.

late model 22' Tournament.

If anyone knows of one I am looking to move up from an 18' Whaler Outrage.

thanks

Howard

Heavy Duty

Reaction score
If the Islander I'm looking at passes the marine survey this Saturday I'll be putting my '91 overnighter on the market. I hate to sell cause I have really enjoyed this boat. But the deal on the Islander is just way too good to pass up and I don't need two boats. My neighbor across the street is interested in it but I don't think he can move on it at this time.

Let me know if you are interested.

Heavy Duty

OBTW..it does have a porta-potty