30’ Marlin height.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Can anyone share the height of a 30’ Marlin when in the water? Have been looking for one to use on the west coast. My parents are looking at houses in FL so might move the boat down there later on but there is a bridge to clear at 8.75? I’m thinking it’s to short. Is a Marlin taller the 282 sailfish? Had one 5 yrs ago.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Bridge clearance on a Marlin is 9' 9" but that doesn't account for radar, outriggers, life raft, or anything else that might be mounted on the hardtop.
Is that in the water? The manual states 10’ but seems tall and with a draft of 19”. Looking at 8’-5” with hard top. Idk.

Kizuna

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Is that in the water? The manual states 10’ but seems tall and with a draft of 19”. Looking at 8’-5” with hard top. Idk.
Yes, "Bridge Clearance" should technically be from the waterline. Obviously load could also reduce this; I presume, or at least hope, GW gives these numbers for an unloaded boat. My Manual and Brochure state 9' 9", so I'm not sure where you're getting 10' from. I'm at 12'+ with radar and navigation light that doesn't fold down.

Reactions: Done-it-again

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Yes, "Bridge Clearance" should technically be from the waterline. Obviously load could also reduce this; I presume, or at least hope, GW gives these numbers for an unloaded boat. My Manual and Brochure state 9' 9", so I'm not sure where you're getting 10' from. I'm at 12'+ with radar and navigation light that doesn't fold down.
From the GW manual. GW doesn’t state where measurements are taken. In any case the bridge seems to low at 8’-9” clear for a Marlin.

Sorry for the sideways pic.

Attachments

• 7C257631-2CF4-44C8-9E09-F1DD4A28C038.jpeg
    7C257631-2CF4-44C8-9E09-F1DD4A28C038.jpeg
    386.5 KB · Views: 7

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
My 2018 Marlin is roughly, and I emphasize "roughly" 10' 6." I've tried to measure it in the water and this is the best I could come up with.

It has a hardtop, obviously, and a Garmin Dome.

Mine would not go under an 8' 9" fixed bridge.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
My 2018 Marlin is roughly, and I emphasize "roughly" 10' 6." I've tried to measure it in the water and this is the best I could come up with.

It has a hardtop, obviously, and a Garmin Dome.

Mine would not go under an 8' 9" fixed bridge.
Thanks for the information.

Reactions: magicalbill

Kizuna

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
From the GW manual. GW doesn’t state where measurements are taken. In any case the bridge seems to low at 8’-9” clear for a Marlin.

Sorry for the sideways pic.
Curious, what year is your Marlin given that we have different specs? Mine is 2005.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Curious, what year is your Marlin given that we have different specs? Mine is 2005.
I currently do not have one, but looking. Had a sailfish before. I picked an 03’ year for the info I posted.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
not sure where you are located, but bridge clearances are normally charted at MHW. we have about a 5 foot tide around me so a Marlin would make it under a bridge of that clearance by me at low water. 2cents. good luck, ron

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
not sure where you are located, but bridge clearances are normally charted at MHW. we have about a 5 foot tide around me so a Marlin would make it under a bridge of that clearance by me at low water. 2cents. good luck, ron
My thoughts exactly. To the OP... Is the clearance for the bridge 8.75' at a low or a high tide? If it's at a high tide, you could always wait for a low tide and attempt to go through at that point? That seems incredibly low for any bridge as the bridge clearance for my 2004 GW 228 Seafarer says it's 8'4" tall with the hardtop. And my boat isn't a very big or tall boat, with tons of other boats being considerably larger than it.

Last edited:

Done-it-again

Reaction score
My thoughts exactly. To the OP... Is the clearance for the bridge 8.75' at a low or a high tide? If it's at a high tide, you could always wait for a low tide and attempt to go through at that point? That seems incredibly low for any bridge as the bridge clearance for my 2004 GW 228 Seafarer says it's 8'4" tall with the hardtop. And my boat isn't a very big or tall boat, with tons of other boats being considerably larger than it.
My parents just boat a 2nd home in Cape Coral and the bridge is 9’ clear but cant tell you if that is high tide or not as I’m not familiar with the area. I wanted the marlin for Southern California then later move it to their place and use it there.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My parents just boat a 2nd home in Cape Coral and the bridge is 9’ clear but cant tell you if that is high tide or not as I’m not familiar with the area. I wanted the marlin for Southern California then later move it to their place and use it there.
Have you looked up what the tides are in the area and what the difference is between a high tide and a low tide? I'm assuming during a low tide that you'd likely get the extra foot or so that you need to get the 10' ish clearance

Kizuna

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
What was changed in 05’?
Well obviously the bridge clearance ;) . And correction, it was redesigned in 2004 not 2005. This article talks about the redesign but doesn't get into specifics about the height change. My guess is they changed the hardtop slightly since my bridge clearance w/out the hardtop is 8' 3", the same as the '03 specs you looked up.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I’ll be heading to FL next week for the house inspection and I’ll get some some tide info at the time.

Was really excited for a Marlin, but it might not work out in this scenario if I decide to move it to FL later on.