30’ Marlin height.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Obviously check, but I recall tidal range in Cape Coral range from 1.5 feet to 2 on a normal cycle.

Exceptions include:

1.) Strong SW to S to W to NW onshore winds over a longer-than-normal duration causing (usually) minor rises in water levels.
2.) Full-Moon cycles.
3.) During winter months when cold fronts punch all the way thru bringing fairly robust N to NE winds in their wake, tide levels will remain unusually low compare to summer months. The E to NE winds blow the water offshore, lowering levels.

If you have an 8' 9" bridge Clearance to deal with, I think a Marlin is a wrong choice. Even if you can snake it under there during lower tides, you'll always have an Albatross around your neck, so to speak. You'll have to time your cruises to arrive at a low enough tide for adequate clearance, and that in itself is a Pain. You'll have to cut your cruises and fishing trips short to get back under the bridge while the tide is still low. Then there will be the times you can't depart because of a hi tide. If you pay for a Marlin, you should be able to come-and-go as you please.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Well obviously the bridge clearance ;) . And correction, it was redesigned in 2004 not 2005. This article talks about the redesign but doesn't get into specifics about the height change. My guess is they changed the hardtop slightly since my bridge clearance w/out the hardtop is 8' 3", the same as the '03 specs you looked up.

Are you saying the 300 Marlin changed in that year or the 282 Sailfish? The 300 Marlin bridge clearance per the Grady White website says they changed the height for the bridge clearance between the 2000 and 2001 model years. In 2000 it was listed as 10' and since then it shows as 9'9" for the hardtop... both are still 8'3" without the hardtop, and even the current model year still shows as 9'9" for the bridge clearance on the hardtop model. In regards to the 282 Sailfish, they're the same as well through those years at 7'7" without a hardtop and 9'9" with the hardtop model.

Last edited:

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Obviously check, but I recall tidal range in Cape Coral range from 1.5 feet to 2 on a normal cycle.

Exceptions include:

1.) Strong SW to S to W to NW onshore winds over a longer-than-normal duration causing (usually) minor rises in water levels.
2.) Full-Moon cycles.
3.) During winter months when cold fronts punch all the way thru bringing fairly robust N to NE winds in their wake, tide levels will remain unusually low compare to summer months. The E to NE winds blow the water offshore, lowering levels.

If you have an 8' 9" bridge Clearance to deal with, I think a Marlin is a wrong choice. Even if you can snake it under there during lower tides, you'll always have an Albatross around your neck, so to speak. You'll have to time your cruises to arrive at a low enough tide for adequate clearance, and that in itself is a Pain. You'll have to cut your cruises and fishing trips short to get back under the bridge while the tide is still low. Then there will be the times you can't depart because of a hi tide. If you pay for a Marlin, you should be able to come-and-go as you please.

yeah. i interpreted the statement as "moving" the boat. personally, i would not deal with a necessary tide change to use my boat. ron

Kizuna

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Are you saying the 300 Marlin changed in that year or the 282 Sailfish? The 300 Marlin bridge clearance per the Grady White website says they changed the height for the bridge clearance between the 2000 and 2001 model years. In 2000 it was listed as 10' and since then it shows as 9'9" for the hardtop... both are still 8'3" without the hardtop, and even the current model year still shows as 9'9" for the bridge clearance on the hardtop model. In regards to the 282 Sailfish, they're the same as well through those years at 7'7" without a hardtop and 9'9" with the hardtop model.
The Marlin changed. Don't know about the Sailfish. The thread starter Done-it-again, requiring around a Marlin, reported specs different than mine and his were for a 2003. So the bridge clearance has changed, and I suspect it's the design of the hardtop. Most of the changes where to the cabin and cockpit but not the hull or overall form. Anyhow at this point, let's keep our fingers crossed that it's at least a draw bridge or large tide so the Marlin is a doable purchase for him.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The Marlin changed. Don't know about the Sailfish. The thread starter Done-it-again, requiring around a Marlin, reported specs different than mine and his were for a 2003. So the bridge clearance has changed, and I suspect it's the design of the hardtop. Most of the changes where to the cabin and cockpit but not the hull or overall form. Anyhow at this point, let's keep our fingers crossed that it's at least a draw bridge or large tide so the Marlin is a doable purchase for him.
I think you're getting the years confused as the bridge clearances did not change between a 2003 and a 2005 GW Marlin 300. As indicated on the Grady White website, they're the exact same at 8'3" without the hardtop and 9'9" with the hardtop. The bridge clearances did change however from the older model years between 1995-2000 at 8'3" without the hardtop and 10' even with the hardtop, compared to the 2001 and current model years at 8'3" without the hardtop and 9'9" with the hardtop. They might've changed up the hardtop design again in 2005 or whatever year you stated earlier, but per the brochures on the GW website, this didn't change the bridge clearances. Even the older 280 Marlin, which I'm assuming the 300 Marlin was based off of, had an 8'3" bridge clearance without the hardtop and a 10' bridge clearance with the hardtop up until it was discontinued in 1995.

Last edited:

Kizuna

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I think you're getting the years confused as the bridge clearances did not change between a 2003 and a 2005 GW Marlin 300. As indicated on the Grady White website, they're the exact same at 8'3" without the hardtop and 9'9" with the hardtop. The bridge clearances did change however from the older model years between 1995-2000 at 8'3" without the hardtop and 10' even with the hardtop, compared to the 2001 and current model years at 8'3" without the hardtop and 9'9" with the hardtop. They might've changed up the hardtop design again in 2005 or whatever year you stated earlier, but per the brochures on the GW website, this didn't change the bridge clearances. Even the older 280 Marlin, which I'm assuming the 300 Marlin was based off of, had an 8'3" bridge clearance without the hardtop and a 10' bridge clearance with the hardtop up until it was discontinued in 1995.
You are correct. I was taking for granted that the 10' specs the original poster showed a picture of, was from 2003 as he stated:

"I currently do not have one, but looking. Had a sailfish before. I picked an 03’ year for the info I posted."