300/305 Towing?

NorthStar

Reaction score
Wondering what members experiences are with towing these boats and trucks used to do it?

Fishtales

Reaction score
No experience and no desire for any experience.
The boat is probably north of 12K lbs fully loaded and with a 10'7" beam you technically need a special permit around here (anything greater than 8'6" requires it). When you get that sled on the appropriate trailer, you are looking a big rig to tow. My guess is any LEO could spot the excessive beam pretty easy, so you better be legal if you are towing it any distances.

Salinity Now

Reaction score
Id love to have that 305 behind my truck!!! I cant speak directly for that model, but towing a 265 is similar, add 4feet in length and a foot in width and about 3000lbs overall. Thats a big load.

My 265 weighed in at 10,600#s on a triple axle 12600# (load capacity) trailer. Thats scaled weight, towing it down the highway. I had a 2004 2500HD Silverado 6.0 gas truck, handled it, but by the #s it was overloaded. My new truck, a 2013 Ford 250 6.7 diesel is a night and day difference. Brakes and suspension are about the same, but power is unbelievable.

How does this compare to your question......I guess it is just some relative close info for end user size and vehicles. If my future boating plans get bigger Id like to have a 305 to tow, it could be done, I certainly wouldn't want to do it with less than a 3/4ton diesel, but I think relatively speaking I would not hesitate (with current truck) towing a 305 if properly set up on a the trailer.

(Im in the process of converting to EoH brakes on my trailer, that plus adding airbags to the truck and I should be ready to roll!!)

Good Luck in your search, I love that 305.

billyttpd

Reaction score
A lot of cops own Gradys so we know what the beam is. Have your permit ready please. A 30 foot model towed by a 3/4 ton. That truck is working. If I was to get a permit and tow a 30 footer I want an F-450.

lapazbajasur

Reaction score
I bought a Marlin in Long Beach, CA and needed to have it moved to La Paz, BCS, Mexico. Got a pro hauling company put it on a low boy with semi rig pulling. We had to have a pilot vehicle and special permit in CA due to both height and width. The low boy sat lower than a regular trailer and with the hard top it was over 13'. I got on the boat when it was loaded and was amazed it was so big and high off the ground. I had to pay the electric company and of course the cops in Ensenada and Cuidad Constitution coming down the peninsula for "assistance fees", supposedly for helping move the low electric lines in both cities.

It's been here a little over a year now and I've taken it out three times for service and it's out now to have the bottom painted. On a trailer with the ladder lowered on the back you have to jump to the ground. It's a beast, and it's not so much what you need to tow it- it's just big and tall and wide. I can't imagine taking it on a road trip, as it's so heavy, really wide and with a hard top at or above 13' high on a trailer.

ReelJoy2

Reaction score
I own a 300 Marlin and tow it regularly with a Ford F250 4X4. I prefer that my rig stays indoors and on a trailer. I've never been a big fan of storing in/near the water, but that's just me. I tow my boat to and from the house, to the launch, which is about 65 miles one way, every trip. The truck does excellent and I've had zero issues with the law. I did have to get a fold down radar mount because the boat is about 13'6" on the trailer. Something that is key to my towing success was the custom trailer Sport Trail in MS built for me. It is made for a GW Marlin only. The boat loads / launches with ease and pulls like a dream....well a dream for a 30' + boat anyway :mrgreen:

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had to tow my Marlin back to Panama City from Dunedin FL after waiting for the weather for two weeks to cross the Big Bend. Never got any break in the weather. Towed it back with an 4X4 F350. More than enough truck, so I would guess the F250 4X4 is a good option. I also have a trailer that is for the Marlin so we had no problems with that. However, I was pretty uncomfortable pulling the boat that far on the highways. I had to take the outriggers off, and sweated bullets about hitting something with the Radar dish. Rigged up a line from the bow up to and over the radar in case we hit a power line or tree limb. Fortunately that never happened. My two cents worth is that is a lot of boat to drag down the highway. I only use my trailer to pull the boat for lower unit engine maintenance. Otherwise it is on my lift behind the house.

NorthStar

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the great info guys! At least I know what to expect and also have some new Grady friends now!

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Just towed my Marlin from San Diego to NW Washington (Bellingham) the second week of May with my 2009 Silverado Duramax/Allison 2500. At first I was nervous, but the more mechanics I talked to said "Why did you buy that truck?" Had full service done and added air bags. The truck did fine, a few minor "learning experiences" but went slow, 55mph, and got better than 12mpg.

The truck is made for that type of haul. But no truck pulling 12,000+# can STOP in a short distance, so we took her easy and saved some serious $$$$.

I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. But it is BIG and it constantly reminds you you're not alone!

SoutheastFL

Reaction score
ReelJoy2 said:
I own a 300 Marlin and tow it regularly with a Ford F250 4X4. I prefer that my rig stays indoors and on a trailer. I've never been a big fan of storing in/near the water, but that's just me. I tow my boat to and from the house, to the launch, which is about 65 miles one way, every trip. The truck does excellent and I've had zero issues with the law. I did have to get a fold down radar mount because the boat is about 13'6" on the trailer. Something that is key to my towing success was the custom trailer Sport Trail in MS built for me. It is made for a GW Marlin only. The boat loads / launches with ease and pulls like a dream....well a dream for a 30' + boat anyway :mrgreen:

Wow, pulling what must be over 12,000 lbs is an awful lot to ask of a 3/4 ton pickup truck. You'd better be sure it can legally pull that much or if you get in an accident your insurance company may deny coverage, which could be a financial disaster and IMO just not worth it.

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I turned over all the stones, called my insurance company, got the required permits, asked everyone I knew in the towing biz, brought a friend for a second set of eyes.

You're right, I wish I could have found timely transportation for under $4000 I would have paid it in a heartbeat. But as it turned out the truck did fine and as long as I went slow to keep a safe stopping distance I'd do it again.

Here's another interesting forum you all may be interested in. Good info on the modern American diesel truck: http://www.duramaxforum.com

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You guys have fun. I towed by first boat ('88 228G) for two years and had enough! :praise

FTR, the forks at our marina have builtin scales so I can confirm a fully loaded 300 is indeed a tad over 12K pounds. Of course that weight is welcome when running through chop.

GreatWhite23

Reaction score
Towed my marlin 3hrs when I bought last month with no problem. Duramax 3500. If you are going to tow a large boat a dually is preferable(much more stable). Permits a must, the tickets far out way the cost of a permit . I did tow my Sea Ray 340 from Atlanta GA to Bristel TN I would not do it again unless I had to mainly because of driving 60 mph and lack of hotel parking. I will say the trailer makes all the difference when moving a heavy boat as the driver. If you stay with in a hour or two you should be fine if you have the rig set up right

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Tow mine at least once a year 300 miles one way. I've done it with a 2006 f350 6.0 DRW diesel 4x4 and 2013 Chevy 2500 diesel 4x4. Granted the ford was used and not the greatest diesel ford ever made but IMO the Chevy 2500 is perfect for the job. The ford struggled over bridges and at the ramp and really caused a lot of known issues with the 6.0 to surface. The Chevy, yes granted is new, pulls it like a dream and stops on a dime with the combined trailer electric breaks, tow mode and exhausted braking. It's shorter so getting around is easier and is much better on fuel. The truck gets 9 mpg low average and about 10 if I take it easy at 65 mph towing. I live in florida so no steep grades but I am much happier pulling with the 2500. It does take time to get use to and some of you might think I'm crazy, but at this point I really think pulling my Marlin is easier than hauling the Seafarer was with a 1500. Once you're use to it, it really trailers well.
Nick

LastChance

Reaction score
I will vouch for the Duramax 2500 truck towing a Marlin 300, albeit from Bellingham to Vancouver Island.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21764

Sean Becker towed the boat from Baltimore to Bellingham WA in less than 5 days with his Dodge 3500 diesel.