300 hour service question

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I've decided to take on the servicing myself, it's cheaper and I think I care more about doing a careful job.

When I rebuilt the water pump, the new o-rings didn't want to stay in their grooves. So I used some Lucas marine grease to help keep them there. A pilot friend said that might not be good, depending on what material Yamaha used for the o-rings, some material is fine with grease, some is not. So does anyone know if the Yamaha o-rings are fine with grease?

Oh, and in case you go down the path of rebuilding a water pump, there is a trick to getting the two seals out of the pump that go around the shaft. They are next to impossible to get out unless you look at the plastic above the seals, then look at the outside and see the two holes. Put a phillips in there to free up those tabs and you'll find there is a collar in there, it's more white than the rest of the housing, that pops right out. Then it is trivial to pull the seals out. Putting the new seals in is not easy until you find a deep socket, I think I used 13/16th, that will tap them in. You want it just small enough that it fits, no smaller.

Reactions: Rustygaff

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I always use a silicone paste which is fine for metals rubbers leather and all synthetic materials. It is relatively cheap if bought by the jar. May be difficult to find out exactly what type of material the O-rings are made of but paste works well on all rubber parts. I use it liberally on the impeller when sliding the cover over the top makes it very easy. I tend to never use petroleum-based grease is on any kind of rubber or plastic.

Attachments

• 2331CE08-9A69-4AA1-8D37-DBDD1DBA2509.jpeg
    2331CE08-9A69-4AA1-8D37-DBDD1DBA2509.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I always use a silicone paste which is fine for metals rubbers leather and all synthetic materials. It is relatively cheap if bought by the jar. May be difficult to find out exactly what type of material the O-rings are made of but paste works well on all rubber parts. I use it liberally on the impeller when sliding the cover over the top makes it very easy. I tend to never use petroleum-based grease is on any kind of rubber or plastic.
Is this any different than any old dielectric grease?