300 HPDI's on 330 Express

twinyams265

Reaction score
My buddy has a pair of 300's and they suck. He has gone thru 3 powerheads in the first 100hrs and he has had 2 starters replaced due to corrosion/rust issues, so I would agree that there is water intrusion issues. They run good when they run, but they use alot of fuel and alot of oil. Yamamha already agreed to replace them with f250's after the next blown powerhead issue and we are waiting for it to happen. These motors are not on a Grady, but i thought you would want this input anyway.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
In Oz the only 300hpdi I have seen is owned by a buddy on his blackwatch 25 and at around the 250 hr mark he is still having unresolved issues.Latest one is replacing the ecu! With a new motor, he is "lucky" to have warranty but I believe that is starting to run out! What next.

When I imported my 265 I always had in the back of my mind that if the motors (800hrs) died I would still be able to repower and because of the initial savings still be able to sell and recoup most of my $'s.

Having just repowered with 4'strokes I believe I have added considerably to the overall desirability of the BMT package.Aussies love the 4 strokes and even tho' it's not true in every case, want them for the fuel savings and the greeness of the motors.

SlimJim

Reaction score
jekyl said:
In Oz the only 300hpdi I have seen is owned by a buddy on his blackwatch 25 and at around the 250 hr mark he is still having unresolved issues.Latest one is replacing the ecu! With a new motor, he is "lucky" to have warranty but I believe that is starting to run out! What next.

When I imported my 265 I always had in the back of my mind that if the motors (800hrs) died I would still be able to repower and because of the initial savings still be able to sell and recoup most of my $'s.

Having just repowered with 4'strokes I believe I have added considerably to the overall desirability of the BMT package.Aussies love the 4 strokes and even tho' it's not true in every case, want them for the fuel savings and the greeness of the motors.
How does the boat run with the new 4 strokes? How are your scuppers? Did you raise them or just leave them? Congrats on the new 4 strokes, I bet you have already turned the key to on while they were running. lol

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
They are super quiet. As i had 150 honda's on my previous boat I was expecting them to be quiet but they are better than I ever remembered.

I have just had the motors lifted to the same height that my old 2 strokes were at and we are going out tomorrow to see how that goes.

I haven't checked the fuel management gauge for accuracy yet but it seems we are using up to 10 liters per hour more than the 200hpdi's at cruise!

I am running 18' 4 blade solas props and I'm pretty sure we are overpropped as well. There is a free exchange with those so we will see what happens when and if we change those.

Desperado

Reaction score
I am interested to hear what you find out about gas mileage. I have always been told the HPDIs get better mileage at cruise than a 4 stroke, but am curious as to how much.

BottomLineNJ

Reaction score
Well I did the research, spoke to Yamaha direct, spoke to owners and mechanics. Decided to "take a chance" and made a deal on an '05 boat the 300 HPDI's with 275 hrs., generator, bow thruster, 2 - Furuno Navnet displays, Open Array, Auto pilot, A/C, Lay out riggers etc. for $112,500. Ran great, maxed out at 5,300 rpm's and just shy of 40 mph. Got back to the dock to finish up the deal but my gut told me to pass. I guess I could have sold the 300's for maybe $5k for the pair and re-powered for about $30,000 which would put me in the boat for under 140k, but with the deals out there, why go through the trouble. Still looking....but for a 4 stroke boat.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bottomline, good thing you backed out, that 40 MPH top speed is no good, i was getting 42 with 4 guys and 1/2 to 3/4 fuel with F250's. Ther is one for sale in here, 2005 with F250's no bottom paint for 150K.