300 Marlin - Gen or not to Gen?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
So my "07 Marlin has a Fisher Panda .... I don't use it much , but every now and then I start it up and put a load on it ... if I am out and want a cup of coffee there isn't and alternative, because Grady installed an electric stove top
You do have options. See what I wrote above and/or replace the electric with a butane-powered stove or an elec/alcohol combo.

Making a portable permanent? Bad idea. Read what I wrote above and what others mentioned about gas vs diesel.

eppem

Reaction score
We boat locally in the Northeast, off CT / RI and Montauk. AC never an issue on the hook. Found a 2013 with no genny, but it is wired for it, with a tank so we can always add one later. I do have a Honda genny and have used it on the boat. Its perfect for making a quick cup of coffee or running the microwave offshore or for overnite trips. We DO NOT run it continually, if needed, we could use to charge the battery system but never had any battery issues with our overnite trips. The extra room in the bilge is nice for accessing stuff down there. We went back and forth on adding the genny but could not justify the cost (and service) based on the amount of usage needed. If I lived in FL it would be another story!

Reactions: SkunkBoat

Ralph163

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Here is the information I mentioned above. We all are big boys and girls here and can make our own decisions. But please don't make the mistake of dismissing this information. Read it in it's enitrity and then make the decision that you feel is best. The important thing is having ALL the FACTUAL information - not just heresay or not thinking that it won't happen to you. I'm sure those that aren't with us anymore had the same thought. This is isn't to say that using a portable genny WILL cause a problem - not at all - just that there are inherent risks... some of which many may not have thought about.

That's GREAT information, and much appreciated, thank you. Is it current with the new models of Hondas? The reason I ask, the new models mention "brushless" motors, and mention something about it sealing the fuel out of the carb when not in use. The grounding issue concerns me. The C0 not as much since I won't be using it to sleep and it will be WELL ventilated.

That said, I am leaning to the built-in gen if I can find. I simply like the idea of using the convenience items (microwave, ac, fridge, etc.) whenever I chose. Having those things and not be able to use them on the water would drive me nuts.

I still haven't had a clear answer though... can I use the microwave or a Keurig off the inverter with the engines running? I would like to be able to heat lunch or make a cup of coffee without the generator when at sea.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
You're welcome! The question about the inverter running the mic/coffee machine is more a function of the size of the inverter and the wiring/breaker used for the install - not so much whether or not the engines are running. The engines just help to keep the batteries charged.

Note my comment about the Magma - that could be used for both functions. Just an FYI, there.

Does Grady not use a dual voltage fridge? Meaning, one that can be used with both AC and DC power?

Regarding your question about the "new" Hondas... I have not looked into them, but I think it's safe to say that fuel drippage could still be an issue since they're designed to be used outside in "safe" areas. I also think it will be minimal, if at all - but it is something to be aware of. Setting the genny on an absorbent pad should take care of it. BUT... there is the issue of where to store it when not using it. Stored down below it could leak for any number of reasons and the FUMES are the explosion risk. That's still not to say don't use them - just to be aware of all the risks and take appropriate precautions.

ttles714

Reaction score
I LIKE THE IDEA OF THE GENERATOR BUILT IN .. i DON'T LIKE THE iDEA OF LASHING IT TO THE DECK ..... I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE WAS ABLE TO SAFELY INSTALL A SIMPLE AND RELIABLE HONDA TYPE GENERATOR ... THAT'S ALL I WAS ASKING

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I LIKE THE IDEA OF THE GENERATOR BUILT IN .. i DON'T LIKE THE iDEA OF LASHING IT TO THE DECK ..... I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE WAS ABLE TO SAFELY INSTALL A SIMPLE AND RELIABLE HONDA TYPE GENERATOR ... THAT'S ALL I WAS ASKING
Yes, you mentioned "permanent", though, which is whole different category.. Look at all of the restrictions and safety factors that would need to be overcome - and many can not be overcome at all. There's a reason built-in genny's are so expensive... well, that AND they have the word "marine" in their name... ;)

Ralph163

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
You're welcome! The question about the inverter running the mic/coffee machine is more a function of the size of the inverter and the wiring/breaker used for the install - not so much whether or not the engines are running. The engines just help to keep the batteries charged.
Sorry, not to be a broken record...So if I make sure my inverter and breaker/wiring is up to it, I can run a microwave to heat up lunch? I only mention the engine running because it keeps the voltage up when the load goes on. I would think that helps? Upgrading my inverter is easier than adding a generator for the simple task of my microwave, if it's possible.

I can live without everything else at sea...I just want to be able to "nuke" me some lunch once and a while! lol It's a pleasure I never had with any of my other boats.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
A small microwave probably draws 700 W of power AC. A 12 V inverter (80% efficient) would require somewhere in the neighborhood of 70-80 amps DC to provide 700 W at 115 V. Make sure you place the inverter close to the batteries and use probably 2 gauge wire for your connections. That is a lot of amperage for two minutes of cooking.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Sorry, not to be a broken record...So if I make sure my inverter and breaker/wiring is up to it, I can run a microwave to heat up lunch? I only mention the engine running because it keeps the voltage up when the load goes on. I would think that helps? Upgrading my inverter is easier than adding a generator for the simple task of my microwave, if it's possible.

I can live without everything else at sea...I just want to be able to "nuke" me some lunch once and a while! lol It's a pleasure I never had with any of my other boats.
No worries - electrical stuff can be a daunting task. But, yes, you are correct. Just check the specs on the mic and the inverter - the inverter manual should give you the wiring/breaker (or fuse) specs. It's going to be a pretty good sized inverter, though.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Ok...sounds nice to have, but I probably won't miss if I dont.

Can I run the microwave or coffeemaker off the batteries with the engine running?
Microwave and coffee maker will not run off the batteries - generator or shore power needed

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
so, a while back I looked into an inverter to run a single cup coffe maker. I have not gone past the "looking into it" stage so I can't give you a tested, definitive setup.
I also asked around, including here on this forum, and nobody has it setup.

It can be done based on the specs of a 2000w pure sine wave inverter and a Keurig mini,
A small microwave could also be run. Obviously you are not going to roast a turkey....
In theory, you could get by with a 1500w
You need a pure sine wave inverter to run ANY electronics, a microwave and anything with a motor (a keurig has a pump) or florescent light.
A cheaper "modified sine wave" will not do.
A pure sine wave 2kw inverter on Amazon $269 that comes with 3 ft 4awg battery cables.
...granted, 3 ft leaves you stuck in the battery compartment. Cables would need to be sized to get you into the cabin. that can add up to a few hundred $

The unknowns in the equation are the battery bank Amp Hours and how the draw will effect the electronics on the boat.
We are talking 2 minutes of use not continuous use for hours.

Having the motor running and the aux charge connected should help with the dip in voltage.

In an ideal design you would have a dual bank of grp 27 Deep Cycle or better.

Ralph163

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks. All the info provided has been helpful. For my purposes, sounds like I should find one with a gen. I need to be able to easily crank that up and make something to eat. Plus run my deck lights offshore while canyon fishing.

Too bad, I had a line on a nice Marlin, but lacked a gen. Doesn't sound like adding a built-in is an option. I would make the financial investment, but it just seems like it should be done at the factory.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I agree, should be done at the factory. I like the coffee discussion. That has to be the most expensive cup in the world. Nice to have for sure, but I'd bring or run for coffee any day of the week.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
A couple thoughts here. When I was looking at larger gradys including marlins the generator wasn't a deal breaker either way. I never had a boat with a genny and it didn't seem like a necessary item at the time. I eventually found and bought my current boat which had a generator. I have found that I use it a lot more than I thought I ever would. On hot summer days the A/C is really nice. Also being able to use the microwave or kureg whenever I want to. Last season I had an issue with one of my battery banks being at the end of its life, I just fire up the genny and was able to run what I needed. if I fish or overnight on the boat, I never have to worry about battery management so I have peace of mind and can concentrate on other things. I just press a button and it starts, rather than having to deal with setting up and securing a portable, not to mention dealing with fuel for a portable. Is it a necessary item like a windless or AP no but I sure like having it.
To the OP, if you are looking at 2005 marlins, the difference in price between one with a genny or not is almost insignificant compared to a new build. Even with the space saved by not having the genny or fuel tank, you cannot easily access that space for storage without the hinged deck panel in the back.

Ralph163

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
A couple thoughts here. When I was looking at larger gradys including marlins the generator wasn't a deal breaker either way. I never had a boat with a genny and it didn't seem like a necessary item at the time. I eventually found and bought my current boat which had a generator. I have found that I use it a lot more than I thought I ever would. On hot summer days the A/C is really nice. Also being able to use the microwave or kureg whenever I want to. Last season I had an issue with one of my battery banks being at the end of its life, I just fire up the genny and was able to run what I needed. if I fish or overnight on the boat, I never have to worry about battery management so I have peace of mind and can concentrate on other things. I just press a button and it starts, rather than having to deal with setting up and securing a portable, not to mention dealing with fuel for a portable. Is it a necessary item like a windless or AP no but I sure like having it.
To the OP, if you are looking at 2005 marlins, the difference in price between one with a genny or not is almost insignificant compared to a new build. Even with the space saved by not having the genny or fuel tank, you cannot easily access that space for storage without the hinged deck panel in the back.
Yes, your thoughts are exactly where this thread brought me. I am not going through all the trouble and expense up upgrading to a larger boat, just to stare at things I can't use out on the water. It's unfortunate though, I have a nice one lined up without a gen. I guess I will keep looking.

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm in the process of replacing my original 2003 FP on my 330 Express with a 2000 watt Mastervolt inverter. My only use of the generator was making a quick cup of coffee or using the microwave for a few minutes, so this should work great for me.

Reactions: SkunkBoat

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I'm in the process of replacing my original 2003 FP on my 330 Express with a 2000 watt Mastervolt inverter. My only use of the generator was making a quick cup of coffee or using the microwave for a few minutes, so this should work great for me.
please post details when you have that working.

Ralph163

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Yes, please keep me posted. The 80 amp inverters look huge, plus they need a beefy cable run to the batteries.

Correct me if I am wrong, but a 700w microwave needs about 6 amps of 120v. Which means the inverter needs to pull about 66 amps of 12v DC from the battery, no? Would it be better to do this on 24v? And would 24v allow you to use a smaller inverter?

Used for reference:

Last edited:

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Yes, please keep me posted. The 80 amp inverters look huge, plus they need a beefy cable run to the batteries.

Correct me if I am wrong, but a 700w microwave needs about 6 amps of 120v. Which means the inverter needs to pull about 66 amps of 12v DC from the battery, no? Would it be better to do this on 24v? And would 24v allow you to use a smaller inverter?

Used for reference:
Yes a 24 V system will have smaller wire and less amps but then you have a two battery 24 V system and what do you do for your 12 V House. it’s kind of a Catch 22. You just keep adding stuff that begins to add up to a generator… all to make a hot cup of coffee.

Ralph163

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Yes a 24 V system will have smaller wire and less amps but then you have a two battery 24 V system and what do you do for your 12 V House. it’s kind of a Catch 22. You just keep adding stuff that begins to add up to a generator… all to make a hot cup of coffee.
Well...let's think about this..

(2) 12v AGM 92ah and 24 inverter/charger
COST: $1,100 WEIGHT: 135lbs
OR
(1) Generator, plus fuel
COST $15,000 WEIGHT: 400lbs

Now, I am not trying to be precise, and the comparison is not exactly fair. But I am trying to think out loud and consider a point. Obviously the batteries are less capable. But there is plenty of room to install them near the panel, they weigh less than a generator, they keep weight out of the transom, maintenance free, and don't require fuel. Not saying this is a good or bad solution, just food for thought.

If I keep the boat 8 years, then the lunches and coffee will be worth it! LOL

Reactions: FirstTimeGrady