300 Marlin Helm AC

JVT

Reaction score
I am considering a new 300 Marlin and would love to have air conditioning on the helm deck, like the 330 Express. The dealer says they can add a second AC unit dedicated to the helm, but there could be power management issues since the generator on that boat is designed for only one unit.

Another option is to route another vent from the cabin system. Has anyone added AC to the helm deck on a Marlin in either configuration, and if so, what has been your experience?

TortugaBob

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Never tried, but I can tell you in south TX., mine does all it can to keep the cabin a few degrees cooler. Also, considering the Head is not conditioned either. Guess I have relegated myself to being very hot offshore, only cool the cabin for a few passengers that cannot deal with heat.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
A friend suggested I A/C the Head on my Marlin. Grady-White replied, saying that venting off the cabin unit to run a opening to the Head would draw down the entire system, taxing it and making it less efficient.

I would surmise that the same thing would happen if you tried to A/C the helm area as well. TortugaBob is correct; In extreme climates such as TX and SW Fla, that A/C has all it can do to keep the cabin in the hi 70's. I see no way you could branch off of it to hit the helm area as well.

As far as another separate system, my Fischer-Panda could handle it. With both units cranking, total amperage would be somewhere in the 20 amp range; an easy load for a FP 4200 diesel generator, provided no other electrical components were on at the same time. You could run your battery charger, I'm sure.