300 Marlin life raft storage

MA208

Reaction score
Hopefully closing the deal on a 2007 300 Marlin soon. I'm thinking of getting a life raft, and BOE is having a group buy so prices are good for a short time. Where is a good spot to store them? I have a feeling the aft berth will be popular with kids. Aft fish box maybe? Or is canister the way to go?

bea5454

Reaction score
Congratulations and best of luck with her. Just concluded Sunday my trip to bring my new-to-me 305 home. Though we came home with it on the starboard companion seat, the aft berth is now home to the valise. I'll likely just move it to the helm area when we do an overnight (though they are heavier/more cumbersome than you might expect).

I know the aft boxes are slightly different between the 300 and 305, but I can't imagine my raft would fit in the 305 (box too narrow). I have a revere 4-person offshore commander. In any event, check your raft dimensions carefully if that location becomes your plan.

Meanwhile

Reaction score
Mine is a 6 person cannister, mounted on the roof. I'd rather have it on the bow, but was not sure of drilling holes there.

devildogdad

Reaction score
mine is a six person offshore commander in a suitcase style. I keep it in the aft berth. weighs 75 pounds. I figure if I really need it I will find the strength to get it out.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Congrats. Hope the deal works out for you!

My two cents... I already have enough "stuff" kicking around my cabin and I don't want to haul that in and out as needed. Previous owner had a life raft mounted on the roof that did not transfer with the boat. If I get one in the future, that is where it will again be mounted. He put very hefty (1/4") SS pads for the cradle to help with weight distribution and the same for backing plates under the hardtop. Fortunately, that setup is still there for me to use!

Fishtales

Reaction score
Grady doesn't recommend mounting one on the hardtop. I wouldn't do it unless there is a good support system added. The skin of those hardtops are thin - very thin. The coring material is balsa. If the core gets wet, you will be in deep do-do. I couldn't put one on the bow, I personally think it looks horrible and takes away view and space (just MHO).
I went with a six person valise that I store in the mid berth cabin. Yea, it stinks having it there, but I keep some gear and other things there - mostly storage. If I need to use it for a mid berth, I remove the stuff and store in my car/box.

MA208

Reaction score
Finally got the boat, not the one originally planned but it all worked out. In any case, the valise Revere Coastal Commander 2.0 6 person fits fine in the aft fish box. Height is at the max but there's still room for other stuff as well. It's vacuum packed so hopefully it's dry enough in there for it.