305 Autopilot

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
One of my spring updates will be to add an autopilot. All of the electronics on the boat are Garmin so the plan is to stick with them and add the reactor40 with the smart pump. For those of you with an express that have this Garmin system or any autopilot my questions are where did you place the pump and the CCU. I have two possible options for the pump either in the aft compartment in front of the diesel tank which is right where the lines split to go the engines or in the starboard wall of the aft bunk next to the steering pump. In talking with a few people the thought was to mount the smart pump in the aft compartment where the steering lines tee off. However I'm worried about moisture in this area. For the CCU I'm thinking of mounting it on the underside or backside of the electronics tub. Just curious to where everyone mounted their components and/or thoughts on the matter.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I have the Reactor 40 on my 265. Its is awesome.
I know you had a 265 once. Does the 305 have the same space behind the cockpit tackle box, under the sink and starboard seating?. It doesn't get any drier than that space. And the hydraulic lines run through there.

The included power cable for the smart pump is 9 ft if I remember right. It just made it from the starboard battery compartment on my 265 so you might have to do an extension with heavier wire per instructions.

They recommended the ccu be low and centerline. Mine is under the captains left foot. You probably have a bunk there?

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
That spot doesn't really exist in the 305 as that is where the livewell is and it is above the deck. In my boat the rigging goes under the decking and through the starboard wall of the aft cabin which is also where the steering pump is located. The rigging then goes up to the helm. So I have good access and a place to mount the pump I'm just trying to think if I'm better off having the pump in the stern bilge area next to the batteries and the engines or having it closer to he helm.

On my old boat I had the Simrad AP pump next to the fresh water pump below the helm. The spot where you put your AP pump, I already had a macerator for the large fish box. But I have to say the access on these boat is pretty good. It has taken a little longer to find all the passages in the bigger boat.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Garmin instructions do recommend to be nearer the cylinders than the helm (why I don't know). As I said, the power cable is 9 feet if I remember. They want it to the battery. If you extend it they want you to ditch the cable and run heavier wire.

The pump is huge but I have never heard a sound.