305 Express vs Marlin

phishead

Reaction score
Im looking at a possible upgrade from my '04 Gulfstream, twin 200s, to the next size up. Although both boats are hard to find around the NW, I'm wondering if you all have feedback on the Marlin vs the Express 305. Pros/cons? Why did you buy a 305 over a Marlin?

Here's what I'm looking for:

Upgrade needs a separate head
I plan to add a kicker motor for trolling
Trailer is not neccesary
Bow thruster is a nice to have
Cockpit must have more than 2 seats. 305 seems a bit tight.
Anything else?

Thanks in advance

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I much prefer the 300 for my usage but there are owners and fans of both models on this site.
My pros for the Marlin are:

O better helm access
O helm layout
O more cabin headroom
O more light in cabin (2 windows)
O much larger cockpit
O larger overhead box
O better bow access
O hardtop rod holders (more total)
O cost less than 305

For cruising and family, the 305 has more helm seating. The 300 wins hands down for fishing.
It all comes down to your needs. You can't go wrong with either model.

HMBJack

Reaction score
FWIW: I owned a 2003 265 and now own a 2006 330 so I skipped the 30 footers and went to the 33. No looking back for me.

My inputs:

I can't imagine a kicker motor for any twin engined boat.
Re: Bow Thruster - I won't own another boat without one. I love it.
The 305 is a newer design and I personally prefer the center helm of the express models (Vs. the side helm).
And from this, you get a seat on each side of the helm versus only one on the Marlin.
The Marlin has a devote following and are great boats as well. Nothing bad to say about them at all.
For you - it probably comes down to which boat is in the best condition for the best price with the options you want.
Can't really go wrong with either one - though you could do like me and skip the 30 footers all together!

phishead

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. The 33 has been a topic of discussion as well. My only concern is that it might be too big to fish and dock by myself. something I'll have to get used to I suppose. :hmm :uhm