305 Express....what to look for

Maineman

Reaction score
Going to see a 305 express on Monday. Any secrets I need to be aware of on this hull? Boat is 2007. Familiar with normal moisture issues in Grady's especially near port side vent. Thanks for any tips.

dreineke24

Reaction score
Model
Express 360
Going to see a 305 express on Monday. Any secrets I need to be aware of on this hull? Boat is 2007. Familiar with normal moisture issues in Grady's especially near port side vent. Thanks for any tips.

What is the common problem with moisture on port side near vent? I'm seeing high moisture on that side as well on my 360 express.

ocdansar

Reaction score
The 330 I just had surveyed the surveyor pulled both rear vents out and showed me no sealant and bare wood. This boat had 400 hours over 17 years and kept under cover so there was no moisture issue. He told me to pull them out when I get it home and paint the entire area with resin to seal the wood then some 4200 and reinstall the vents.
He also recommended trying to check all the thru hulls. I was planning on pulling rub rail midship back and resealing. I will also be resealing or glassing the transom cap when I repower.
These are all areas I have seen gradys leak

dreineke24

Reaction score
Model
Express 360
The 330 I just had surveyed the surveyor pulled both rear vents out and showed me no sealant and bare wood. This boat had 400 hours over 17 years and kept under cover so there was no moisture issue. He told me to pull them out when I get it home and paint the entire area with resin to seal the wood then some 4200 and reinstall the vents.
He also recommended trying to check all the thru hulls. I was planning on pulling rub rail midship back and resealing. I will also be resealing or glassing the transom cap when I repower.
These are all areas I have seen gradys leak

Thanks for that. I just picked up a 2006 360 Express. The port aft section under the vent is reading high moisture. The surveyor said the moisture should leave when blocked for the winter and to just seal the vent and rebead the fittings. I'm wondering if anyone has seen this issue? The boat seems like it is listing about 1inch to the port in the water at the dock
.. not sure if related

ocdansar

Reaction score
I don’t know where the batteries are on the 360 but on the 330 they are off center to port side and cause a list to port.

dreineke24

Reaction score
Model
Express 360
Yes, there are actually 4 large batteries on the port side. I hadn't thought that could be why it is listing. It is only about an inch list. Is this common with the larger expresses? I wouldn't think the batteries would weigh enough to list a boat this heavy.

ocdansar

Reaction score
Yes on my 01 I used lead in the starboard side bilge to balance it out . I’m ocd and that stuff drives me nuts

Bayhouse

Reaction score
Deep V hulls are very sensitive to weight distribution. When running, if anyone is moving around on the boat, I need to adjust tabs to keep her level.