307 dual console

Thowell

Reaction score
I am considering the purchase of a 307 dc and was hoping to get some feed back from a few owners on the positives and negatives they have encountered or experienced since taking possession -- would like to know the good and the bad, thx.

Thowell

Reaction score
Thank you for the tip but I had already done that and there really isn't much info, comments or otherwise on the 307 -- at least I cannot find any. I would really like to hear from someone who owns the boat and uses it frequently.

ksgoldman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
I have a 2010 Tournament 275 and absolutely love the boat (in fact - I couldn't be any happier with it). I have twin 150's and it is a great boat from every perspective.

When I ordered my 275, my wife actually asked me if I wanted the 307 and I considered it for a minute. As I was moving up from a Seaswirl Striper 2101 Dual Console, the increase from a 21' boat to a 27' boat was already quite substantial (not to mention going from a 3,000 lb boat to a 7,000 lb boat). Since the majority of the time I boat by myself, the 27' seemed fine and much easier to handle. In 20/20 hindsight, if the money were not a consideration (and it always is to some extent) and the fuel costs were not something to think about (the 275 gets reasonably good fuel economy) I would have bought the 307. I also like the fact that the 307 comes with a bow thruster (not sure if it's an option or standard but I would definitely get it).

If you are looking for an outstanding all-around day boat, the 307 (or 275) can't be beat. They are very, very seaworthy, extremely versatile, and of course made by Grady White (yes - I have drunk the Koolaid). Although I've only had my boat for one season, I put almost 200 hours on the boat and over 2,000 miles (just cruising around). With my old boat I went on 20 mile trips, on my Grady I'll take a 50 mile trip without a second thought. Everything you hear about Grady quality and customer service is true from my one year of experience (and I'm looking forward to my boat being launched for the 2011 season in 51 days - not that I'm counting or anything).

So while I can't tell you anything specifically about the 307 I can tell you that the 275 is an outstanding boat which leads me to believe that the 307 is even better. Of course it's longer, wider, heavier, and has more horsepower. What's not to love about that. If you can make the purchase work for you, I'm guessing that you will never have a second thought about having purchased that boat. It is unique in the industry as nobody makes a dual console that size in a mono-hull configuration.

I have to be honest and say that at this point, I don't have any negatives to share. Even though the price of a Grady is considered high, I think that they are great value boats for the money (in terms of quality, customer service, and resale value). I plan on owning my 275 for a long time (unless I hit the lottery in which case I'll buy a bigger Grady).

Sorry I can't be of more help about the 307. There are a number of great reviews on the Grady White website which may be of some help (and of course you should sea trial the boat). The best thing I did was to go the Grady White factory - the tour was amazing!

prodiver

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I also have a 275 dual console with a 350 on it. The 307 looks really neat. It would be tight for my slip, but if you have the dough, go for it. I've totally outfitted mine for fishing off Wrightsville Beach. 55 miles to the break, and all the guys love to go, since it is warm with the hardtop and enclosures.

Wife and kids love the bow seating, and the head is a must.

May take it out next week.

good luck

Thowell

Reaction score
thanks for the replys, just the type of stuff I have been looking for --- how have you modified your boat to accomodate a little better fishing experience?

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Pro,
Let's hook up this Spring for a stream run. Keep in touch. Things should be getting good toward latter March if we can get a weekend day without the howling March winds. :welcome

Tashmoo

Reaction score
I have the F350 with 500 hours on my 275 and the engine has been a solid performer so far. That said, the 500 hour service is an eye opener as all of the internal zincs need to be replaced, can you say ka-ching!!

I have had DC's now for going on 17 seasons and have spent a lot of time with friends on other boat types, hands down unless you want to overnight, the DC design is the most versatile if you want to fish and do family time. I have a bimini top on mine which stays on the dock when chasing tuna, it gives you the ability to have a caster in the bow and stern and to walk a fish from bow to stern without interference. If you don't care about that ability put a hard top on it. When trolling you have to keep someone on the helm because the boat does not track well at low speeds, I would think that the 307 will be better in this regard with the wider beam. Auto-pilot would solve that problem as well.

The only negative comments that I have on the boat, (I think they will apply to the 307 as well) and they are minor, is that it could use more rod storage; it also needs an option for tackle storage. A minor annoyance is that the lanyard is positioned dead center under the steering wheel and when it is around your wrist it wraps up in the wheel when making aggressive turns and unplugs if you are not careful. Again a very minor issue.

The 275 is a bull in rough water and I can only imagine that the 307 is an exponentially stronger performer.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Tashmoo about the lanyard, throw away the coiled plastic line and replace with a 3/16 soft rope so it would fall down on the floor and strap it around your foot or your pants belt clips.

Tashmoo

Reaction score
Nothing Else Matters; Thank you, light dawns over Marblehead, I never thought about getting rid of the coiled plastic. I do wrap the lanyard around my ankle but it still catches every now and then, the rope idea will eliminate that. Again, thank you.

You gotta love this forum.

ksgoldman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
I use an Autotether (www.autotether.com) which is an electronic lanyard. The nice thing about it is that I can move all around my boat without having to clip and unclip. If I fall overboard it shuts down the engines. It's so easy and very worthwhile. I have no affiliation with the company other than I bought the product and really like it. I've had my Autotether on two boats now and would never be without one. It takes 30 seconds to install and many insurance companies will give you a discount for owning one (mine has paid for itself already).

Good luck!

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Tashmoo said:
Nothing Else Matters; Thank you, light dawns over Marblehead, I never thought about getting rid of the coiled plastic. I do wrap the lanyard around my ankle but it still catches every now and then, the rope idea will eliminate that. Again, thank you.

You gotta love this forum.

You are very welcome.
FWIW, i never use mine, but, i never boat alone, too many friends that can drive my boat and family who all my kids and wife drive the boat as well.

The autotether, as ksgoldman mentioned, is also a GREAT idea for some one that boats alone or with little kids.